Colin B. Willmott
- Direct — 312.572.8414
- Fax — 312.572.8401
Colin Willmott focuses his practice on general liability and insurance coverage matters involving commercial general liability policies.
Colin’s experience includes working as an extern with the City of Chicago Department of Law, where he represented the city in administrative hearings, conducted opening and closing statements before administrative law judges, and reviewed and prepared documents for vehicle impoundment hearings. In addition, Colin solicited testimony from police officers on direct examination, cross-examined respondents regarding code violations, and negotiated pleas with violators of the municipal code.
As a law student at the Elder Financial Justice Clinic in Champaign, Illinois, Colin prepared documents for order of protection hearings, interviewed and counseled clients regarding their legal issues, and investigated a possible occurrence of contractor fraud.
While receiving his juris doctor from the University of Illinois College of Law, Colin served as a judicial intern for the Honorable P. Michael Mahoney, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois. He was a member of the University of Illinois Law Review and served as an editor and external round competitor of the Frederick Green Moot Court Competition. He was the recipient of the Pro Bono Notation for pro bono legal services.
- Defense Research Institute
Admitted to Practice
- University of Illinois College of Law, J.D., magna cum laude, Dean’s List, 2014
- University of Bath, M.A., 2011
- University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, B.A., Dean’s List, 2009
- Co-Author, “Blurred Lines: Insurers Now Face Increasingly Draconian Consequences for Breaching Their Duty to Defend,” Mealey’s Emerging Insurance Disputes, January 21, 2016
- Co-Author, "EPLI Carriers Beware the Rising Tide of FCRA Background Check Class Actions,” InsideCounsel, June 11, 2015
- Co-Author, “When Does the Modification of a Product Trigger an Exception to the Statute of Repose?” IDC Quarterly, Vol. 25, No. 1, First Quarter 2015
- Co-Author, “How to Maintain a ‘Sterling’ Reputation With Your Clients: What You Need to Know About CGL Coverage for Unauthorized Recording Claims,” Mealey’s Emerging Insurance Disputes, February 5, 2015
- Co-Author, “Settlement Wars: Episode 2—The Frank’s Casing/Blue Ridge Saga Continues,” DRI Covered Events, December 22, 2014