James M. Paulino II
- Direct — 585.295.8351
- Fax — 585.295.8300
James Paulino represents individuals and corporations in complex insurance coverage, intellectual property, cyber risk, labor and employment, and professional malpractice matters, as well as domestic and international contract disputes. His experience includes numerous mediation and settlement negotiations, including the negotiation of a multimillion-dollar settlement, and both the prosecution and defense of personal injury and medical malpractice actions. Jimmy has defended numerous medical providers, including a major university hospital, against malpractice actions regarding a wide range of treatments and services — handling motion practice, discovery, medical records review, depositions, and trial preparation. Jimmy is also a member of the firm’s data breach litigation team and is a frequent contributor to Goldberg Segalla's Data Privacy and Security blog. He teaches continuing education courses on cyber security as a Lawline faculty member.
In addition, Jimmy has represented educational institutions in a variety of education law matters, including those involving First Amendment religious freedom, Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) and discrimination claims, the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), disciplinary policies, high school athletics, student handbooks, employee handbooks, special education evaluations/students suspected of having disabilities, personal injury, and sexual harassment for high schools and universities.
He was the 2013 recipient of the Outstanding Young Lawyer Award, given by the Young Lawyers Section of the New York State Bar Association to recognize a young lawyer for outstanding service to both the community and the legal profession.
Jimmy’s background includes serving as a law clerk with the Monroe County Attorney’s Office, Children’s Services Unit.
At the University of Notre Dame Law School, Jimmy was a member of the Association of Trial Lawyers of America (ATLA) and Barristers Trial Team, and he received the Edward F. Barrett Award for Excellence in Trial Advocacy and the American College of Trial Lawyers Medal for Excellence in Advocacy. At the University of Rochester, Jimmy received the Joseph P. O’Hern Scholarship for Travel and Study in Europe and served as an intern for the United States House of Representatives.
- Forty Under 40, Rochester Business Journal, 2014
- Upstate New York Super Lawyers, Rising Stars 2014-2016
- Outstanding Young Lawyer Award, New York State Bar Association, 2013
- Emerging Bar Leader Award, Monroe County Bar Association, 2012
- Chuck Cuminale Youth Advocate Award (on behalf of the Monroe County Bar Association Young Lawyers Section), The Center for Youth, 2011
- Up and Coming Attorney Award, The Daily Record, 2011
- Defense Research Institute
- New York State Bar Association: Chair, Subcommittee on E-Filing, 2011–present; Committee on Court Structure and Operations, 2011–present
- Monroe County Bar Association: Member, Judiciary Committee; Chair, Young Lawyers Section, 2010–2011
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- The Center for Youth: Board of Directors, 2012–present; Fund Development Committee; Teen Court Advisory Board
- Town of Irondequoit: Zoning Board of Appeals, 2011–present
- Foundation of the Monroe County Bar: Jazz for Justice Event Committee, 2010–present
- Rochester Teen Court: Mediator, 2010–present
- University of Rochester Mock Trial: Coach, 2007–present
- Greater Rochester Association for Women Attorneys: Guys for GRAWA Committee
- The Charles Finney School: Board of Directors, 2007–2011
- University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2007
- University of York (England), M.A., 2005
- University of Rochester, B.A., magna cum laude, 2003
- Co-Presenter, "Protecting Your Connected World: Where IT and the Law Intersect," Lawline Webinar, August, 16, 2016
- Co-Author, “Anatomy of a Data Breach,” DRI For the Defense, March 2015
- Quoted in “Pro Bono Spotlight: Younger Attorneys Embrace Campaign for Justice Challenge,” The Daily Record, January 13, 2015
- Presenter, "Education Rights of Students with Disabilities," Greater Association for Women Attorneys, December 3, 2014
- Quoted in “NY Expanding Computerized Court Records,” Associated Press, April 17, 2014
- Author, “Where’s E-Filing, Monroe County?” Monroe County Bar Association newsletter, The Docket, Summer 2012
- Co-Author, “Report on the Status of E-Filing in New York State Courts,” New York State Bar Association, Committee on Court Structure and Operations, Subcommittee on E-Filing, March 2012
- Co-Author, “Harmonizing the Pre-Litigation Obligation to Preserve Electronically Stored Information in New York State and Federal Courts,” Advisory Committee to the New York State-Federal Judicial Council, October 2010