James M. Rozak
- Direct — 312.572.8407
- Fax — 312.572.8401
James Rozak has extensive business, commercial, and product liability litigation experience in state and federal courts across the country. The foundation of his courtroom experience was formed as a state prosecutor in the Chicago area where he tried 30 jury and over 200 bench trials. As a seasoned civil lawyer Jim has successfully represented manufacturers, service firms, and retail establishments in business disputes and in defense of lawsuits seeking damages for bodily injury.
Jim has toxic tort experience that includes representing an insulation manufacturer in a complex asbestos exposure case brought by employees of a major tobacco plant in Alabama. He has taken numerous asbestos-related depositions and conducted an extensive amount of discovery review and production related to asbestos exposure. He also represented the manufacturer of one of the best-selling dietary supplements containing ephedra in a class action lawsuit in Chicago.
In a recent success for a nationwide health club chain, Jim successfully argued the appeal of the validity of his client’s exculpatory agreement against a claim of catastrophic injury. Jim also has experience handling business disputes involving temporary and permanent restraining orders, including cases involving threats against corporate executives and contractual disputes. His product liability work includes successfully defending cases involving fire and explosion across the country as national counsel for major manufacturers of consumer appliances. His practice also includes representing clients in construction and insurance coverage disputes.
Jim is the immediate-past Chair of the Defense Research Institute (DRI) Fire and Casualty Specialized Litigation Group. He was the featured speaker at the National Fire Protection Association’s 2009 Conference and Exposition, presenting on the topic of evidentiary challenges with NFPA 921, the National Fire Protection Association’s guide for fire and explosion investigations. He also presented on the use of NFPA 921 at DRI’s 2006 Product Liability Seminar.
In addition, Jim has spoken on a variety of product liability issues, including arson investigations, and has authored articles on topics such as early involvement in fire investigations and the defense and investigation of electric shock claims.
For the last two years, Jim has volunteered as a speaker and mentor at the College of DuPage Career Fair for high school seniors who are considering careers in law, law enforcement, and fire science. He also enjoys volunteering with his children at both the Greater Chicago Food Depository and the Northern Illinois Food Bank.
- DuPage County Bar Association
- Sports and Fitness Industry Association
Admitted to Practice
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Central Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- College of DuPage Career Fair: Speaker
- Greater Chicago Food Depository: Volunteer
- Northern Illinois Food Bank: Volunteer
- The John Marshall Law School, J.D., 1991
- Marquette University, B.S., 1987
- Co-Author, “Defending Fire Claims 101: Early Involvement in the Investigation,” Property Casualty 360, March 13, 2012
- Presenter, “Arson Investigations in Product Liability Cases,” DRI’s Fire and Explosion Seminar, Chicago, November 2007
- Presenter, “Firing Back: The Use of NFPA 921 in Deposition of an Expert,” DRI’s Product Liability Seminar, Las Vegas, February 2006
- Presenter, “Investigating and Defending Claims of Electrical Shock,” DRI’s Product Liability Seminar, Las Vegas, February 2003
- Author, “Investigation and Defending Claims of Electric Shock,” IDC Quarterly, Vol. 13, No. 2, 2003