Jessica P. Butkera
- Direct — 443.615.7517
- Fax — 443.615.7599
Jessica Butkera’s practice focuses on general defense litigation, torts coverage, premises liability, and complex toxic tort matters involving exposure to lead paint and other hazardous substances. She brings comprehensive experience and a wide-ranging legal background to the firm. Jessica litigates complex lawsuits in the state and federal courtrooms of Maryland and the District of Columbia, offering clients broad perspective and the myriad benefits associated with her extensive bench and jury trial experience.
Jessica has extensive experience in all phases of litigation, including trials. A representative sampling of her successes include:
- Successfully obtaining a defense verdict for a local, professional sports team in a premises liability case.
- Following a one-week trial, successfully obtaining a defense verdict for a hospital in a medical-malpractice emergency medicine and abdominal surgery matter.
- Successfully obtaining a defense verdict for a hospital in a medical-malpractice informed consent case.
- Obtaining summary judgment in an automobile accident defense matter.
- Securing a directed verdict on behalf of an insured driver in a multi-vehicle collision.
- Recovering a client’s defense costs and fees after successfully utilizing a Rule 68 Offer of Judgment.
- Securing a dismissal in a medical malpractice case on the basis that the Plaintiff had not complied with the Health Claims statute by first filing in the Health Claims Alternative Dispute Resolution Office (HCADRO).
After graduating from the University of Maryland School of Law, Jessica clerked for the Hon. Audrey J.S. Carrion in the Circuit Court of Baltimore City, Maryland. She is actively involved in a number of legal and professional organizations, including the Defense Research Institute, Maryland Bar Association, District of Columbia Bar, and more. She currently serves on the Board of Trustees of the Baltimore Bar Foundation and the Bar Association of Baltimore City’s Communications and News Journal Committee. Jessica maintains an AV rating from Martindale-Hubbell and has been named a Rising Star by Maryland Super Lawyers each year since 2013. The National Trial Lawyers named Jessica to its Top 40 under 40 list in 2016.
- Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating: AV Preeminent
- The National Trial Lawyers Top 40 Under 40, 2016
- Maryland Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2013-2017
- Baltimore Bar Foundation, Inc., Board of Trustees, 2016-2017
- Bar Association of Baltimore City: Communications and News Journal Committee, 2015-present; Personal Injury Litigation Committee, 2013-present
- Maryland State Bar Association, Inc.
- Baltimore County Bar Association
- District of Columbia Bar
- Maryland Defense Counsel, Inc.
- National Association of Professional Women
- Delta Gamma Baltimore Alumnae Association, Vice President of Finance
- Delta Gamma Fraternity
- Delta Gamma Foundation
- University of Maryland School of Law National Trial Team
- Canton Community Association
- USA Triathlon
- Alzheimer’s Association
Admitted to Practice
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- University of Maryland School of Law, J.D., 2007
- The George Washington University, B.A., cum laude, 2002