Jill C. Owens
- Direct — 914.798.5460
- Fax — 914.798.5401
Jill Owens is a partner in the firm’s New York City office. In her more than two decades of practice, Jill has handled complex commercial litigation in federal and state courts nationwide. She concentrates her practice in the areas of class action defense, products liability, FINRA arbitration, directors and officers liability, and insurance coverage litigation. Jill has appeared on behalf of a range of clients including Fortune 500 companies, small businesses, and individuals.
Jill has litigated numerous class actions nationwide in all phases, including class discovery, class certification, successful appeal of class certification determinations, and through class notice. She has made law at the federal appellate level concerning application of the Class Action Fairness Act. In addition, she has achieved favorable settlements of putative class actions as individual actions and has been an architect of creative class-wide settlements. In one example of Jill’s class action experience, she the obtained favorable settlement of a federal putative class action involving a contaminated food product on behalf of a gourmet food product producer and a Fortune 100 retailer.
Jill also has extensive litigation experience representing major national and international companies in mass tort and individual products liability actions involving cigarettes, and prescription products including, birth control, diet drugs, and opthalmic solution.
Following law school, she was law clerk to the Honorable Anne E. Thompson of the U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey for two years.
- New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2014-2016
- New York State Bar Association: Member, House of Delegates
- Federal and Commercial Committee NYS Bar Association: Member
- Westchester County Bar Association: Member; Women and the Law Committee
- Westchester Women’s Bar Association: Member
- Dartmouth Lawyers Association: Member, 2004–present
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Faculty, Pace Summer Justice Academy for Young Women, 2012
- White Plains Democratic City Comittee District Leader, District 32, 2008–2010
- Volunteer Chairman, Walking Scorers for Barclay's PGA Tour FedEx Cup
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1988
- Dartmouth College, A.B., 1985