Martha P. Brown
- Direct — 336.419.4907
- Fax — 336.419.4950
Martha Brown represents her clients in employment litigation, employment practice liability insurance (EPLI) issues, and insurance coverage disputes.
Martha draws upon her extensive experience in all areas of employment law to advise clients on issues regarding terminations, demotions, reductions in force, and hiring practices. She regularly provides guidance on surveillance of employees, substance abuse by employees, and proper administration of leave of absence policies. In addition, she has been heavily involved in counseling and representing companies in discrimination claims asserted by current or former employees. Martha has successfully litigated discrimination, wrongful termination, and retaliation claims in both federal and state courts. Her broad employment law background has also involved assisting clients in drafting employee handbooks, employment policies, employment agreements, and severance agreements.
She has handled both first- and third-party insurance coverage matters, including disputes over extent of commercial general liability (CGL) coverage for construction defect claims, application and coordination of coverages under additional insured endorsements, coverage for successor liability, coverage under Directors & Officers and Errors & Omissions policies, and coverage for wrongful conviction based on subsequent DNA exoneration.
While applying her considerable background litigating in state and federal courts, Martha advises clients regarding the forum that is both appropriate and receptive to their positions. She aptly positions cases for appellate review, securing clients’ appellate rights, and presenting their position for determination.
- Legal Elite in Employment Litigation, Business North Carolina, 2011–12
- North Carolina Bar Association
Admitted to Practice
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., 1993, with honors (North Carolina Law Review)
- Fairfield University, B.A., summa cum laude, 1990 (President, Alpha Sigma Nu Honor Society)
- Moderator, "EPL Claims Trends," 12th Annual National Employment Practices Liability ExecuSummit, Uncasville, CT, September 27, 2016
Co-Author, “Wrongful Incarceration Suits Surge Giving Rise to Insurance Coverage Trigger Issues,” Carrier Management, November 4, 2013