Sean J. McKinley
- Direct — 516.281.9833
- Fax — 516.281.9801
Sean McKinley focuses his practice on workers’ compensation. He defends insurance carriers and self-insured employers in a wide range of workers’ compensation claims, including those involving slips and falls, motor vehicle accidents, World Trade Center claims, occupational disabilities, repetitive stress claims, psychiatric injuries, and fraud claims under the Workers’ Compensation Law. His experience includes cases arising from numerous industries, including retail; construction; health care, including long-term care facilities and home health providers; and hospitality, including hotels, restaurants, and casinos.
Sean has extensive experience at the appellate level in workers’ compensation cases. He has handled numerous appellate briefs and oral arguments in the Appellate Division, Third Department, and he authored the winning brief used in the landmark Court of Appeals’ reversal of Zamora v. New York Neurologic Associates, a decision that set important precedent for insurance carriers and employers in the defense of workers’ compensation claims involving permanent partial disabilities.
Before entering private practice more than five years ago, Sean spent three years as Assistant Corporation Counsel for the New York City Law Department, where he defended the city in litigation involving work-related accidents, occupational disabilities, and World Trade Center claims.
He is a frequent author and presenter on topics in his area of focus, including third-party action consent in workers’ compensation claims, New York State medical impairment guidelines, and New York State medical treatment guidelines.
- New York Metro Super Lawyers, Rising Stars 2013–2016
- Recipient of 2006 Legal Rookie of the Year Award, presented by Hon. Michael Bloomberg in recognition of performance, promise, and dedication in the first year of practice
- New York Self-Insurers Association
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- American Society of Worker's Comp Professionals, Inc.
- Risk and Insurance Management Society (RIMS)
- Villanova A&S BRIDGE Society — Law, Politics, & Government: Mentor to undergraduate students; Panelist at Fall 2012 Mentoring & Networking Event
- Alumni Interviewer for Villanova University Scholarship Program
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- Pace University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2005
- Villanova University, B.A., 2002
- Presenter, "Return to Work Program: A Vital Tool to an Efficient Workers’ Compensation Risk Management Program," 2016 Workers' Compensation ExecuSummit, Uncasville, CT, March 1, 2016
- Presenter, "Knee Injuries: Avoiding Consequential Injuries and Minimizing Schedule Loss of Use," New York State Self-Insurers Association Annual Meeting, January 13, 2016
- Presenter, “Impact of the Aging Workforce on the Workers’ Compensation System,” SEAK National Workers’ Compensation Conference, July 2014
- Presenter, “Trends in Workers’ Compensation — New York,” New York State Association of Health Care Providers, July 2014
- Panelist, “Law, Politics & Government Mentoring & Networking Event,” Villanova A&S BRIDGE Society, October 3, 2012