OSHA and Worksite Safety
Employers of all types face complex and industry-specific regulations from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) that are designed to protect the health and safety of their workers.
With Goldberg Segalla as counsel, compliance with OSHA and other safety regulations need not be difficult nor a hindrance to productivity. We help employers from a wide range of industries establish and maintain safe work environments that meet applicable requirements and reduce exposure to liability. In fact, the Goldberg Segalla team includes more than a dozen lawyers who have undergone OSHA 10-hour or 30-hour training and certification programs. And if OSHA or a state health and safety agency does come knocking, we bring extensive experience in preparing for any such unexpected visits, negotiating any resulting citations, and handling administrative proceedings, litigation, and alternative dispute resolution to help minimize the impact on the company’s bottom line.
Proactive Counsel to Minimize Risk
We know from experience that the first step in keeping costly penalties down is to prepare for an inspection well before it ever occurs. We work together with clients to develop practical systems and strategies that serve the dual purpose of promoting safety and minimizing exposure. Our OSHA and Worksite Safety team can assist with:
- Implementing company-wide compliance policies, risk-avoidance strategies, and a response plan in case inspectors arrive
- Developing company safety manuals and other materials
- Advising on how OSHA standards and other rules, regulations, or statutes apply to each particular business
- Educating managers, compliance officers, and employees on applicable standards and potential penalties
- Performing a company self-audit or participating in an OSHA voluntary compliance program
In addition, we work collaboratively with Goldberg Segalla’s Environmental Practice Group to address potential environmental hazards and risks. This team has developed a successful Environmental Compliance Audit Program to help clients take a proactive approach to environmental compliance.
OSHA Inspections and Beyond
In the event of an OSHA or health inspection, our team guides clients through the entire process and its aftermath, all with an eye toward minimizing liability and disruption. We have helped numerous clients handle the process effectively and mitigate, if not entirely eliminate, potential violations and penalties. Our services include:
- Guidance through OSHA investigations, including procedural steps and advice on the company’s rights and responsibilities
- Investigating workplace accidents and employee claims
- Defending against citations and negotiating reduction of penalties
- Representing clients before the Occupational Safety & Health Review Commission (OSHRC) and its administrative law judges
- Handling appeals of OSHRC rulings
- Helping clients maintain a positive relationship with OSHA
We work closely with our firm’s Workers’ Compensation and Labor and Employment Practice Groups to help clients address any worksite injury, occupational disease, whistleblower retaliation, or other claims or issues that may arise.
Visit our OSHA: Legal Developments and Defense Strategies blog for the latest news, insights, and legal analysis regarding OSHA inspections, risk management strategies, and defenses against alleged OSHA violations.