As environmental concerns become primary shapers of a company’s image in the public eye and regulations continue to grow increasingly complex, it is more important than ever for businesses to partner with a law firm equipped to guide them through today’s standards as well as through the evolution into the industrial and regulatory framework of tomorrow.
Goldberg Segalla’s Environmental Practice Group works closely with clients to help them balance their environmental responsibility with their business goals and their bottom lines. We provide staunch advocacy and defense for our clients when environmental claims arise or the government takes action. Our team remains on the cutting edge of the ever-changing body of environmental law, allowing us to bring the legal and industry knowledge necessary for clients to meet the environmental challenges and opportunities in business head-on.
We counsel and represent a wide range of Fortune 500 corporations, commercial and industrial facility owners and operators, financial institutions, higher education institutions, transportation companies, health care facilities, developers, landowners, municipalities and public entities, and others on environmental matters, including:
- Regulatory compliance and self-auditing
- Permit applications
- Environmental strategy development, proactive measures to minimize liability, and preemptive solutions to changing laws
- Preparing for and responding to government inspections and enforcement actions
- Zoning and land use issues
- Emerging environmental, liability, and coverage issues for an array of industries connected with hydrofracking
- Environmental aspects of transactions, including environmental review, due diligence, and commercial loan closings
- Waste management issues and hazardous waste remediation, including community outreach to landowners
- Spill or accident remediation and cost-recovery litigation
- Litigation to defend against the full range of environmental claims
Following a spill or accident — when every second counts — our team has the advantage of an OSHA 40-Hour Hazardous Waste Operations and Emergency Response (HAZWOPER) Certificate, giving us the credentials necessary to gain access to an EPA-restricted site and the ability to help clients respond much more efficiently.
Our experience includes matters involving the full range of applicable federal and state agencies and regulations, including:
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Consumer Product Safety Commission
- Comprehensive Environmental Response, Compensation, and Liability Act (CERCLA)
- Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA)
- Clean Air and Clean Water Acts
- Spill Prevention, Control, and Countermeasure Plans (SPCC) for oil spills
- State environmental protection agencies, laws, and regulations
Several members of our team have background experience in environmental science, consulting, wastewater treatment, and other disciplines, providing increased efficiency and greater understanding of the technical and scientific challenges facing our clients.
Reflecting our position at the forefront of the environmental legal landscape, our firm developed a Hydrofracking Practice Group focused on channeling our regulatory, environmental, commercial, and liability-related experience to the unique legal and regulatory challenges facing a wide range of private and public entities in connection with the emerging hydrofracking industry. Our Shale Watch blog provides the latest news on legal developments arising out of hydrofracking, as well as related commercial or litigation issues, in the Northeast and across the country.