Our attorneys counsel educational institutions on a wide variety of matters, including:
- Student disciplinary procedures and codes
- Tenure denial and other faculty employment issues
- Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) and other privacy matters
- Labor, employment and employee benefit issues, including matters involving administrators and staff (such as the defense of claims involving discrimination, sexual harassment and retaliation)
- Federal and state tax exemption
- Corporate and governance matters
With issues involving students, our experience allows us to review student disciplinary procedures and codes, assist in hearings related to student discipline, and render advice regarding search and seizures in the school as well as drug testing. At Goldberg Segalla, our experienced litigators have handled numerous cases involving student injuries on campus or in the classroom, and we have the experience to assist school districts in investigating these claims.
Our experience and knowledge have also allowed us to successfully defend numerous school districts in claims involving sexual abuse of students by teachers, as well as claims of sexual abuse committed by one student upon another. Of course, we understand that these are often extremely sensitive issues, and we pride ourselves on handling each case with the dignity and confidentiality required by our clients as well as the courts.