Carianne P. Torrissi
Carianne P. Torrissi focuses her practice on employment and labor dispute defense. She oversees matters involving allegations of discrimination, wrongful termination, breach of contract, and violation of whistleblower statutes, as well as matters pertaining to claims for unemployment compensation, and other wage-related issues. She also counsels clients in day-to-day labor and employment issues including hiring practices, leaves of absence under the FMLA and related state laws, ADA accommodations, employees returning to work following disability and workers’ compensation leave, termination practices, union grievances, and collective bargaining negotiations. Carianne also works with employers to conduct workplace investigations in matters involving executive, employee, and contractor misconduct and other sensitive issues; and she helps employers draft and revise company policies, employee handbooks and manuals, employment agreements, and termination documentation and severance agreements.
Carianne has appeared before state and federal courts in both Pennsylvania and New Jersey, as well as the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, and has represented clients before the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, Pennsylvania Human Relations Commission, New Jersey Division on Civil Rights, New Jersey Department of Labor and Workforce Development, and New Jersey Division of Wage and Hour Compliance.
Following law school, Carianne served as a law clerk to the Honorable Lee B. Laskin, Superior Court Judge in Camden, New Jersey. Today, she continues to serve the New Jersey community as a member of the Town of Hammonton Ethical Standards Board.
Carianne is the Vice Chair of Goldberg Segalla’s firmwide Women’s Initiative.
In addition to her general employment and labor work, Carianne has extensive knowledge of the trucking industry and significant experience managing trucking-related matters. She also has unique and valuable hands-on trucking knowledge as her family has been in the trucking business for three generations and she has learned the business from the ground-up. Carianne utilizes this unique background and experience to defend trucking companies against various legal claims and to provide specialized labor and employment law services to companies in the transportation industry. In 2019, she was named to the Top Women to Watch in Transportation list by the Women in Trucking Association.
Honors & Awards
Top Women to Watch in Transportation, Women in Trucking Association, 2019
Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, Employment and Labor, 2019-20
Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, Rising Star, 2013 (Thomson Reuters)
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Rutgers University School of Law, J.D., 2003
- Pennsylvania State University, B.S., 1999
- POWER of Professional Women, Philadelphia
- National Tank Truck Carriers
- Justinian Society of Philadelphia
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Steering Committee Member, Employment and Labor Law Committee
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- New Jersey Motor Truck Association
- Atlantic County Bar Association
- Women in Trucking
- Ethical Standards Board, Town of Hammonton, NJ
Publications & Events
- “A Trucking Employer Trifecta: Successfully Navigating the Intersection of the ADA, FMCSR, and Workers’ Compensation” (Co-Presenter), Truckload Carrier’s Association Annual Convention, Las Vegas, NV, March 10, 2019
- “New Hires: Ensuring Legally Sound Principles,” Applying HR Law to Everyday Issues: An Interactive Workshop CLE, National Business Institute (NBI), Princeton, NJ, December 6, 2017
- “Employment / Hiring Practices,” eServices/Energi 2017 Risk Management Summit, Las Vegas, Nevada, October 17, 2017
- “The Ties that Bind: Enforcing Restrictive Covenants with Your Employees” (Co-Presenter), GS Webinar Series, August 26, 2020
- “Reopening Businesses Responsibly after COVID-19 Webinar,” Pennsylvania Institute of Certified Public Accountants (PICPA), July 27, 2020
- “A Trucking Employer Trifecta: Successfully Navigating the Intersection of the ADA, the FMCSR, and Workers’ Compensation” (Co-Presenter), GS Webinar, December 13, 2018
March 19, 2020
October 23, 2019