Cedric Tan is an experienced litigator who focuses primarily on intellectual property matters, as well as technology-related business and commercial litigation. He handles all aspects of litigation, from pre-suit filing investigations and legal opinions through trial and appeal, and settlement. He represents a broad range of American and international companies in a wide range of industries and technologies, with a particular emphasis on litigating the validity, infringement, and enforceability of patents in different technologies.
As a registered U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) patent attorney and an intellectual property litigator with nearly 25 years of litigation experience, has earned numerous favorable settlements, successful appeals, and motions on behalf of clients. He regularly litigates patent matters in the federal district courts and before the Patent Trial and Appeal Board (PTAB) in Inter Partes Reviews (IPRs) and also provides strategic patent counsel in many fields, such as material sciences, organic chemistry, biochemistry, chemistry, biotechnology, and molecular biology.
In addition, Cedric has a specific depth of experience handling pharmaceutical commercial and patent cases, including Abbreviated New Drug Application (ANDA) patent litigation matters arising under the Hatch-Waxman Act. He has litigated as lead counsel numerous drug product and ANDA cases, including for some of the largest pharmaceutical manufacturers in the world, involving therapeutic areas such as narcolepsy, ADHD, glaucoma, epilepsy, oral contraceptives, diabetes, infantile spasms, cancer treatment, and multiple sclerosis. Due to the intersection between FDA-regulated products and patent law, Cedric’s experience encompasses a significant understanding of Orange Book drug product exclusivities and the ANDA and 505(b)(2) New Drug Application (NDA) regulatory approval pathways.
Cedric also has experience related to copyright, trademark, trade secret, and other intellectual property litigation, as well as tort and general commercial litigation and counseling.
- District of Columbia
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office Registered Patent Attorney
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of Tennessee
- Tulane University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1997
- University of Alberta, B.S. Biochemistry, first class honors, 1994
- DC Pro Bono Center: Volunteer
Publications & Events
- “The Evolution of Authorized Generic Agreements in Today’s Antitrust Environment,” ACI Legal and Regulatory Summit on Generic Drugs, July 17-18, 2013
- “APA Attorneys Reaching Equity Ranks—Past and Future Perspectives,” (Panelist) NAPABA 24th Annual Convention, November 15-19, 2012
- “Bilski—Where Are We Now and Where Are We Going?” Pittsburgh Intellectual Property Law Association March Meeting, March 17, 2010
- “Preparing for Paragraph IV Disputes: Early Generic Considerations for Achieving Favorable Litigation Results,” 2nd Annual Pharmaceutical Congress on Paragraph IV Disputes and Settlements, October 22-23, 2009