Daniel E. Lust
Daniel E. Lust focuses his practice on defending personal injury and property damage litigation throughout New York State. Dan focuses a significant portion of his practice on high-exposure high-profile transportation matters, including bus and commercial truck incidents involving fatalities, catastrophic injuries, and multi-vehicle collisions. He also handles a wide variety of premises-liability matters. With substantial experience in e-discovery, Dan has built countless successful defenses using information captured from plaintiffs’ social media accounts and networks, finding the digital “needle in the haystack” to crack open difficult cases. Dan’s colleagues frequently have asked him to step in to assist with or lead legal or social-media research into unique and challenging issues, and he has educated fellow attorneys on the latest issues in e-discovery through articles and presentations before the New York State Judicial Institute and other organizations.
In addition, Dan has extensive experience in the sports realm having worked years between the New York Giants in Public Relations and the Legal Department of SFX Baseball Agency. Dan is widely regarded as an authority on sports law and legal issues pertaining to the business of major league sports given his unique background. He regularly publishes on Goldberg Segalla’s award-winning Sports and Entertainment Law Insider where thousands have read his articles and has been interviewed on sports radio programs across the country including but not limited to New Orleans, Dallas, Atlanta, Portland, Indiana, Boston, Kansas City, Washington DC, Memphis, and Houston, among others.
While at Fordham University Law School Dan gained experience as an intern with the New York State Supreme Court in Westchester County, for the Hon. Susan Cacace and the Hon. Alan Scheinkman. He was also a post-graduate fellow with the Nassau County Attorney’s Office.
Goldberg Segalla represents numerous major-league sports organizations and franchises, including members of the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL. As a member of the firm’s Sports and Entertainment practice, a regular contributor to the firm’s Sports and Entertainment Law Insider blog, and a recognized commentator on complex sports law issues, Dan has earned a reputation for his insight into the legal issues behind the biggest headlines in the sports world. He has shared his insights in interviews with major radio programs and popular podcasts including ESPN Memphis 92.9, Rip City Radio 620 (NBC Sports Portland), SB Nation, 92.9 The Game (Atlanta), 104.5 ESPN Baton Rouge, and 1070 ESPN The Fan (Indiana). His work has also been featured by The Dan Le Batard Show, Darren Rovell, and others.
While in law school, Dan was a legal intern focusing on Major League Baseball arbitration with the SFX Baseball Agency and the Excalibur Sports Group. Before beginning his legal career, Dan spent four years as a public-relations coordinator for the New York Giants.
Dan is exceptionally experienced in e-discovery and in building defenses around information gleaned from social media, cell phones, wearable technologies, and smart devices. Dan is recognized an authority in this area and frequently assists his colleagues in various practice groups across Goldberg Segalla’s national footprint with diverse matters involving e-discovery and evolving technologies.
Dan has published and presented widely on emerging issues in this field. In 2019, Dan was among a handful of Goldberg Segalla attorneys who helped the New York State Bar Association produce and deliver a series of videos discussing core social-media platforms. Geared toward other attorneys, these videos cover history and basic uses of the platforms as well as potential ethics issues and tips on how to tap the platforms’ powers to boost your professional network, personal brand, and legal practice.
Honors & Awards
Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating: AV Preeminent
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- Fordham University School of Law, J.D., 2013
- Fordham Environmental Law Revie: Associate Editor
- Fordham Sports Law Forum: President
- National Negotiation Competition: Founder
- Union College, B.A., 2010
- New York State Bar Association
- Social Media Committee
- Westchester County Bar Association
Publications & Events
- “The Impending Durant-Warriors Lawsuit That No One Is Talking About,” Sports and Entertainment Law Insider, June 27, 2019
- “The Perils of Assuming an Unknown Risk: The Anatomy of a $1 Billion Dollar Durant-Warriors Lawsuit,” Sports and Entertainment Law Insider, June 21, 2019
- “New York Courts Are Finally Leveraging the Pandora’s Box of Social Media,” New York Business Journal, March 3, 2019
- “What is Snapchat?” New York State Bar Association [Video file], August 13, 2018
- “Snapchat Facts” New York State Bar Association [Video file], August 13, 2018
- “Snapchat vs. Other Social Media Platforms” New York State Bar Association [Video file], August 13, 2018
- “3 Ways Attorneys can Face Snapchat Ethical Issues” New York State Bar Association [Video file], August 13, 2018
- “Ghost of Snapchat Past: Pairing Social Media Legal Ethics with New and Future Functionalities,” ABA/BNA Lawyers’ Manual on Professional Conduct, April 5, 2017
- “Social Media Investigations: Digging Deep, or Just Scratching the Surface?” New York Law Journal, October 3, 2016
- “Emerging Tech and the Law: Here Comes The White Elephant,” NYS Judicial Institute, White Plains, NY, June 25, 2019
- “Social Media Law: Year in Review,” New York State Judicial Institute, February 14, 2019
- “Social Media 101,” New York State Judicial Insitute New Judges Seminar, White Plains, NY, January 9, 2019
- “Social Media Blitz: Going on the Offensive With a Smothering Defense,” CLE, January 25, 2018
- “Social Media and the Practice of Law,” New York City Bar Association, New York, NY, September 20, 2018
- “Social Media and the Practice of Law: Ethical Implications and a How-To Guide,” New York City Bar, New York City, NY, September 14, 2017
- ESPN Memphis 92.9, July 3, 2019
- Rip City Radio 620, NBC Sports Portland, July 3, 2019
- SB Nation (Boston-Dallas-Houston), July 3, 2019
- “TNS Hour 3: Reset The Deck & Interview With Dan Lust,” 92.9 The Game (Atlanta), July 2, 2019
- 980 The Team with Brian Mitchell (Washington, D.C.), July 2, 2019
- “Daniel Lust talks Kevin Durant’s $1B lawsuit against the Warriors,” 5 ESPN Baton Rouge, July 1, 2019
- “Where there’s smoke there’s something brewing in the background,” 1070 The Team (Indiana), July 1, 2019
- (Almost) Entirely Sports with Joshua Brisco, Sports Radio 810 (Kansas City), June 28, 2019
- “Social Media Investigations,” Timely Notice, June 2019
- The Dan Le Batard Show with Stugotz, June 30, 2019
- “If Kevin Durant sues the Warriors, it could be the biggest compensatory damages case in history, writes @dlustesq,” Darren Rovell (Twitter), June 27, 2019
March 3, 2019
January 28, 2019
July 9, 2018
June 26, 2012