David Y. Choi
David Y. Choi, chair of Goldberg Segalla’s Cannabis and Hemp Law practice, is a versatile counsel who offers a wealth of experience in outside general counsel, litigation, and trial services to clients throughout California. He serves a myriad of clients including directors and officers, licensed professionals, and businesses across an array of industries including real estate, cannabis and hemp, construction, apparel, technology, and other sectors.
David is also a leader in the firm’s Commercial Litigation and Arbitration and Management and Professional Liability practices. He draws from a wide range of experience in commercial litigation, including disputes involving business transactions, real estate investments, professional services, and claims against directors and officers.
David has represented clients in a myriad of commercial, real estate, and other business disputes.
- Prevailed in a quiet title action involving a commercial property valued in excess of $30 million after substituting into a matter to overcome a preliminary injunction
- Secured a $1.9 million judgment in favor of a real estate investor against a manager who misappropriated and mismanaged real property assets
- Obtained a dismissal on behalf of an auditing firm of a multi-million-dollar, class-action securities fraud claim filed in federal court involving a publicly traded company on a motion to dismiss
- Prosecuted a construction defect claim on behalf of a public entity owner against a national contractor and subcontractor involving real property damage in excess of $18 million
As a leader of the Cannabis and Hemp practice, David devotes a substantial portion of his practice to the cannabis and hemp industries. David represents businesses operating along the distribution chain including cultivators, manufacturers, distributors, and retailers of cannabis, related products, and ancillary businesses, such as suppliers of commercial hydroponics equipment. He focuses his practice on providing outside general counsel services that includes acquisitions and dispute prevention and resolution.
- Represented the seller of a hydroponics business in a merger involving a transaction valued in excess of $30 million
- Represented the seller of a cannabis business in a merger involving a transaction valued in excess of $4 million
- Represented an investor that purchased securities in a licensed cultivator and negotiated the terms of a construction and management agreement
David has a successful record of defending and securing favorable results for management and professionals across an array of disciplines including directors and officers, lawyers, design professionals, real estate professionals, insurance agents and brokers, and more.
- Secured a dismissal on a motion to quash on behalf of an escrow firm involving a $4 million claim for damages
- Secured a dismissal on a responsive pleading motion on behalf of a law firm involving a $800,000 claim for damages
- Defended an architect from a $15 million construction defect claim involving an adaptive reuse of an industrial building
- Successfully defended a law firm involving a $10 million legal malpractice claim involving alleged lost income and diminution of corporate value of a lending business
David’s clients regularly turn to him to provide outside general counsel services. David has significant experience preparing business agreements and assisting with transactions including the drafting of operating agreements, shareholders agreements, promissory notes, leases and subleases, sales and purchase agreements, services agreements, and others.
- Represented a purchaser of a $10 million multi-tenant commercial real property located in Southern California
Honors & Awards
Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating: AV Preeminent
PLUS Diversity Leadership & Mentoring Program (LAMP), Cohort of 2021
National Law Journal, Cannabis Law Trailblazer, 2019
Data Bird Cannabis Law Expert, 2018
- U.S. District Court for the Central, Eastern, and Northern Districts of California
- Loyola Law School, LL.M. (Taxation) with distinction, 2009
- Loyola Law School, J.D., 2008
- International and Comparative Law Review: Editor
- University of California, Los Angeles, B.A., 2003
- State Bar of California
Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- Cannabis Committee
Publications & Events
- Quoted, “‘Attention needed for renting marijuana businesses'” Korean Real Estate Association Seminar, Korea Daily, April 4, 2019
- “The Buck Stops Here: Liability and Non-Lawyers” (Co-Presenter), Professional Liability Seminar, New York, NY, December 6, 2019
- “Sex, Drugs, and Real Estate” (Co-Presenter), Korean American Real Estate Brokers Association, Los Angeles, CA, April 3, 2019
- “Construction Law 101: Tools to Manage Risk in Employment, Contracts, Insurance, Bonds, and More” (Co-Presenter), Chinese American Construction Professionals, Alhambra, CA, February 20, 2019
- Contributor, “USDA Issues Interim Final Rules for Domestic Hemp Production,” Timely Notice, January 21, 2020
- Contributor, “E-Cigarette and Cannabis Industries: Protect the Public and Yourself From Vape-Related Illnesses,” Timely Notice, November 5, 2019
October 16, 2020
October 30, 2019
April 1, 2019