Eric S. Cohen
Eric Cohen counsels clients in a broad spectrum of professional liability and business and commercial lawsuits, including negligence and breach of duty causes of action. He frequently represents contractors, property managers, design professionals, and others in the construction field, as well as corporate directors and officers. Eric also counsels clients in the defense of consumer protection statutes, including the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act, the Telephone Consumer Protection Act, and state consumer protection laws.
Eric handles every aspect of his client’s cases, working with the client and their insurer to craft and implement responsible and aggressive legal strategies to best serve their needs. He has helped to rewrite the law at the appellate level in favor of his design professional clients to the benefit of the industry as a whole.
In the area of directors and officers liability coverage, highlights of his professional experience include successfully moving to have misrepresentation claims dismissed against the CEO of a national company seeking in excess of $70 million. The plaintiff, an international bank, could not appeal the trial court’s decision. Eric also successfully moved to dismiss numerous claims against design professional clients and their insurers, avoiding prolonged involvement in litigation and accompanying business interruption.
At Hofstra University School of Law, Eric participated in the Hofstra Housing Litigation Clinic, where he conducted multiple trials as a student intern, and was associate news editor of the college’s newspaper. At Queens College, Eric was sole recipient of the Pi Sigma Alpha Award for Academic Excellence.
Honors & Awards
New York Metro Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2014–18 (Thomson Reuters)
View peer-review methodologies at superlawyers.com. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- Hofstra University School of Law, J.D., 2002
- Queens College, The City University of New York, B.A., cum laude, 1999
- American Institute of Architects (AIA)
- American Council of Engineering Companies (ACEC)
- Construction Specifications Institute (CSI)
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- Professional Women in Construction (PWC)
- Brandeis Association
- New York Society of Architects (NYSA)
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society
- Associated Builders and Contractors (ABC)
- New York State Bar Association (NYSBA)
- Volunteer, Meals on Wheels
Publications & Events
- Co-Author, “Making Dollars and Sense of the Economic Loss Doctrine,” DRI The Critical Path, June 26, 2015
- Co-Presenter, “Sue Everyone! The Anatomy of a Construction Lawsuit,” Professional Women in Construction, New York, May 22, 2014
- Co-Presenter, “Anatomy of a Construction Defect Case,” Sound Advice, American Bar Association Section of Litigation, April 2014
- Attorney Panelist, “The Value of Specifications,” Professional Women in Construction Continuing Education Series, April 24, 2013
- Panelist and presenter, mock mediation for the Manhattan ACEC, 2012
- Speaker, “Review of Recent Cases Involving Design Professionals,” 2011
- Speaker, “The Ten Most Common Areas of Design Professional Liability,” 2010, 2011
- Panelist and presenter, mock mediation for focused audience, 2010
September 13, 2018
September 27, 2016
September 16, 2015