Erin Miter Scanlon
Erin Miter Scanlon focuses her practice on defending toxic tort and asbestos claims on behalf of clients including product manufacturers, distributors, suppliers, contractors, and property owners. Her experience includes litigating high-stakes matters in plaintiff-friendly claims venued throughout Pennsylvania, New Jersey, and New York—including all five boroughs of New York City, as well as New York’s Nassau, Suffolk, Rockland, Ulster, Schenectady, and Albany counties; Middlesex County, New Jersey; the Philadelphia Court of Common Pleas; and the United States District Court for the Southern District of New York. She is involved in all aspects of litigation from inception through trial and appeal. Erin also frequently assists in crafting and coordinating multijurisdictional defense strategy for clients facing claims regionally and nationally.
Prior to entering private practice, Erin served as a legal intern in the Monroe County District Attorney’s Office, where she interviewed victims of harassment, assault, and petit larceny for prosecution. Erin draws on a background including product liability, construction, and general litigation in matters involving claims of negligence, strict products liability, and worksite injury under New York Labor Law §200.
- Successfully prepared trial motions and memoranda on corporate alter ego, successor liability, collateral estoppel, choice of law, and strict products liability issues on behalf of a raw material supplier, resulting in a defense verdict of zero percent liability apportionment after a three-week trial in Erie County, New York
- Second chair trial experience defending claims of asbestos exposure on behalf of product manufacturers and suppliers
- Briefed and orally argued appeal of summary judgment denial on behalf of a steam trap manufacturer before the Appellate Division of the Supreme Court of New York, First Judicial Department
- New Jersey
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Thomas M. Cooley Law School, J.D., magna cum laude, 2014
- Thomas M. Cooley Journal of Practical and Clinical Law: Senior Marketing Editor
- Thomas M. Cooley Law Review: Senior Associate Editor
- The College at Brockport, SUNY, B.S., 2011
Publications & Events
- “An Update on the Bare Metal Defense in New York,” (Co-Presenter), GS Webinar Series, January 22, 2021
- “Pennsylvania Drastically Changes Asbestos Litigation in Roverano Decision,” (Co-Presenter), GS Webinar Series, March 26, 2020