Heather K. Zimmerman
Heather K. Zimmerman focuses her practice on appellate law, personal injury defense, and commercial litigation. In her appellate practice, Heather has spearheaded or participated in approximately 20 appeals in both New York State and federal courts. Her efforts have led to significant defense victories, including at the highest level in the New York State Court of Appeals, as well as in the Federal Second Circuit Court of Appeals. She has prosecuted and defended appeals on procedural and substantive issues from the discovery stage through summary judgment motions and trial verdicts. Heather is well-versed in the rules of appellate procedure in all jurisdictions in New York State and in New York’s federal courts.
In her personal injury defense practice, Heather handles a wide variety of claims with a concentration in construction accidents involving New York State Labor Law liability and commercial premises liability. She has litigated both small and multimillion-dollar claims in all stages of the process, from initial case development and investigation through trial, mediation, or arbitration. In her commercial litigation practice, Heather has litigated primarily construction, employment, deceptive business practice claims, as well as insurance contract disputes.
- Department of Labor OSHA 10-Hour Construction Training
Honors & Awards
Upstate New York Super Lawyers, Rising Stars 2013-2019
Honor Roll of Pro Bono Service, U.S. District Court for the Northern District of New York
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, and Western Districts of New York
- University of Notre Dame Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2008
- Notre Dame Law Review: Article Editor
- State University of New York at Binghamton, B.A., magna cum laude, 2005
- Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society
- Golden Key Honor Society
- Onondaga County Bar Association
- Central New York Women’s Bar Association
- Women Together Inspiring Entrepreneurial Success (TIES)
Heather is actively and proudly engaged with her local community. She volunteers as an arbitrator in Syracuse City Court, where she hears and decides all manner of small civil claims. In addition, she serves as a member of the Board of Directors of Toomey Residential and Community Services, a nonprofit organization that provides individualized residential, clinical, and social services to children and individuals with developmental disabilities.
- Syracuse City Court: Volunteer Arbitrator
- Toomey Residential and Community Services: Member, Board of Directors
August 13, 2019
August 13, 2018
June 8, 2016