Jason E. Rusche
Jason E. Rusche counsels clients in insurance and reinsurance coverage matters, including litigation, as well as underlying commercial litigation. Jason has extensive experience handling complex coverage disputes for insurers under a wide variety of insurance policies (historical, admitted and non-admitted), including pollution and remediation liability, professional liability, commercial general liability, umbrella, excess, commercial property, builder’s risk, commercial auto, personal lines, and various specialty lines, including manuscripted policies. In addition, Jason advises clients in connection with disputes over treaty and facultative reinsurance contracts. A seasoned litigator, Jason has a wealth of experience representing clients across numerous industries in environmental, mass tort, toxic tort, premises liability, professional liability, product defect, construction, and trucking litigation.
Prior to joining the firm, Jason spent 10 years in-house at two large international insurers handling high-exposure legacy liability claims and first- and third-party pollution and professional liability claims. Jason draws on his background in representing clients and being a former corporate client himself, brings a superior understanding of the dynamics, goals, and challenges his clients face.
Jason has achieved favorable and economic resolutions on behalf of insurers in complex coverage disputes arising under historical and present-day commercial general liability policies, umbrella policies, excess policies, specialty pollution liability policies, and professional liability policies. Jason has resolved multi-million dollar coverage litigation for insurers arising from a variety of underlying exposures, in addition to allegations of bad faith.
Jason has substantial experience defending clients in underlying litigation, including cases involving liability for environmental remediation; toxic torts (asbestos, pollution, benzene, lead paint, mold, etc.); premises liability; and defective construction, design, engineering, and consulting.
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- University of Connecticut School of Law, J.D.,2017
- Latino Law Student Association
- CALI Excellence Award – Principles of Reinsurance
- CALI Excellence Award – Compliance: A Legal Perspective
- Fairfield University, B.A., 2009
- American Bar Association
- Connecticut Bar Association
- Hartford County Bar Association
Publications & Events
- “Connecticut Decides Legal Uncertainty Triggers Duty to Defend” (Author), ABA’s Tort Trial and Insurance Practice Insurance Coverage Litigation Newsletter, Winter 2021
- Quoted in “Attorneys: Tide Might Be Turning Against Insurers in Business-Interruption Lawsuits,” Connecticut Law Tribune, December 4, 2020
- “Construction Defect Claims: A 2020 Update—Part I” (Co-Author), Mealey’s Litigation Report: Construction Defects Insurance, November 2020
- “Construction Defect Claims: A 2019 Update—Part II” (Co-Author) Mealey’s Litigation Report: Construction Defects Insurance, April 2020
- “Construction Defect Claims: A 2019 Update—Part I” (Co-Author) Mealey’s Litigation Report: Construction Defects Insurance, March 2020
- “NY Courts Vary In Allowing Bad Faith Claims Against Insurers,” (Co-Author), Law360, October 18, 2019
- “Year in Review 2020: Specialty Lines,” (Co-Presenter), GS Webinar Series, January 28, 2021
January 28, 2021
December 7, 2020
November 20, 2020