Jill C. Owens
In her more than two decades of practice, Jill C. Owens has handled complex commercial litigation in federal and state courts nationwide. She concentrates her practice in the areas of class-action defense, products liability and trucking litigation, FINRA arbitration, directors’ and officers’ liability, and insurance-coverage litigation. Jill has appeared on behalf of a range of clients, including Fortune 500 companies, small businesses, and individuals.
Jill has litigated numerous class actions nationwide in all phases, including class discovery, class certification, successful appeal of class certification determinations, and through class notice. She has made law at the federal appellate level concerning application of the Class Action Fairness Act. In addition, she has achieved favorable settlements of putative class actions as individual actions and has been an architect of creative class-wide settlements.
Jill also has extensive litigation experience representing major national and international companies in transportation, mass tort, and individual products liability actions involving cigarettes, and prescription products including birth control, diet drugs, and ophthalmic solutions. Transportation clients frequently call on Jill to conduct rapid response investigations of trucking accidents, and she recently served on a New York State Bar Association Auto and Truck Claims, Accidents, and Litigation panel, where she addressed ethical issues arising in automotive and trucking claims.
Early in her career, Jill gained valuable experience as special counsel with New York Stock Exchange (NYSE) Division of Enforcement, where she conducted investigations of and litigated disciplinary matters involving regulated entities and registered representatives alleged to have violated NYSE Rules and other governing laws.
Jill’s successes in this area include obtaining a favorable settlement of a federal putative class action involving a contaminated food product on behalf of a gourmet food producer and a Fortune 100 retailer.
Honors & Awards
New York Metro Super Lawyers, 2014–18
Admitted to Practice
- New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern and Eastern Districts of New York
- U.S. Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- Harvard Law School, J.D., 1988
- Dartmouth College, A.B., 1985
- New York State Bar Association: member, House of Delegates
- Federal and Commercial Committee NYS Bar Association: member
- Westchester County Bar Association: Member; Women and the Law Committee
- Westchester Women’s Bar Association: member
- Dartmouth Lawyers Association: member, 2004—present
- Faculty, Pace Summer Justice Academy for Young Women, 2012
- White Plains Democratic City Committee District Leader, District 32, 2008–10
- Volunteer Chairman, Walking Scorers for Barclay’s PGA Tour FedEx Cup
Publications & Events
September 13, 2018
September 27, 2016
September 16, 2015
January 5, 2015