John M. Whelan
John M. Whelan is a highly skilled litigator with more than 20 years of experience in commercial, business, and civil litigation. He defends a wide range of clients in insurance defense, premises liability, product liability, management and professional liability, construction injury, environmental, aviation, maritime, and personal injury matters. John has handled all aspects of civil litigation from pre-litigation investigation to preparation of pleadings, motion practice, factual and expert discovery, pretrial preparation, settlement negotiation, mediation, trial, post-trial and appeal in California’s superior and federal courts.
Before attending law school, John served in the U.S. Marine Corps as a CH-53 helicopter pilot for eight years on active duty and for two years in the reserves, where he achieved the rank of Major.
- U.S. District Courts for the Central, Northern, Southern, and Eastern Districts of California
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- University of Southern California Law Center, J.D., 1994
- Webster University, M.A., 1991
- University of Michigan, B.A., 1983
- Orange County Bar Association
- U.S. Marine Corp, Helicopter Pilot, 1983 to 1991
- U.S. Marine Corp Reserves, Helicopter Pilot, 1992 to 1994