Nolan McCready represents and defends employers in a wide range of employment and workers’ compensation matters, with a particular focus on representing major league sports teams and franchises. He regularly defends employers in single-plaintiff discrimination, retaliation, harassment, and wrongful termination claims; wage-and-hour class-action suits; and administrative hearings. He also represents clients in all aspects of workers’ compensation claims, including exhaustive deposition of claimants and expert witnesses and aggressive litigation at every stage of the claims-handling process. His experience includes representing clients in state and federal trial and appellate courts and before a variety of administrative bodies.
During law school, Nolan served as production counsel for a variety of limited-budget motion pictures at the Chapman University School of Law Entertainment Law Clinic. He drafted incorporation documents, filed copyrights, and prepared production-related contracts, among other responsibilities. He was also the senior notes and comments editor for the Nexus Journal of Law and Policy.
A three-year letterman and defensive back for Penn State University’s football team, Nolan has carried his passion for sports and sports management into his practice as an attorney. With an intimate understanding of the inner workings of athletics, Nolan has earned a reputation as an experienced defender of major league sports teams and franchises and a shrewd counselor to their owners, in-house counsel, and upper management.
- Represented four NFL teams in dozens of complaints by retired players, successfully arguing that the claims were defective based on subject matter jurisdiction, statute of limitations, or employer due process
- Secured complete defense verdict after identifying false testimony by claimant, a former professional football player
- Persuaded state court judge to halt workers’ compensation proceedings against a transportation company in light of ongoing federal litigation
- Chapman University, J.D., 2014
- CALI Award for Top Grade in Entertainment Law, Copyright Seminar, and Entertainment Law Clinic
- Nexus Journal of Law and Policy: Senior Notes & Comments Editor
- Pennsylvania State University, B.A., 2006
- Named, Academic All-Big Ten Conference, ESPN/CoSIDA Academic All-District, ESPN/CoSIDA Academic All American
Publications & Events
- “Effective Discipline and Performance Management for Onsite and Remote Employees” (Co-Presenter), GS Webinar Series, May 28, 2020
July 9, 2020
June 16, 2020
September 23, 2019