Oded Burger is a registered patent attorney with a background in biochemistry and computer network engineering. His practice focuses on patent litigation related to a broad range of technical areas, including network hardware design, cloud data centers, semiconductors, cryptocurrency, pharmaceutical compounds, and medical devices. His litigation experience encompasses all aspects of case management, including taking and defending depositions, engaging in settlement conferences, as well as the preparation of experts and corporate representatives for trial. He has extensive second-chair trial experience focusing on expert testimony. He has also authored and argued numerous successful and critical motions and appellate briefs, including multiple post-trial briefs on the admissibility of scientific evidence. His previous litigation experience includes medical malpractice and toxic tort cases, where he served as a trial and appellate counsel.
Oded earned a B.A. with honors in Biochemistry from New York University, with dual minors in Physics and Mathematics. He has also completed several post-graduate certificate programs from New York University related to computer systems and network engineering. After working as a network administrator for a few years, Oded attended Brooklyn Law School, where he graduated with a Certificate in IP, Media, and Information Law. Oded has lectured on topics including computer programming, system administration, and cyber-security as an adjunct faculty member of New York University’s School of Professional Studies and has taught CLE courses on the scientific aspects of personal injury litigation.
As an intellectual property counselor and litigator, Oded helps clients to secure trademark rights through prosecution before the United States Patent and Trademark Office. He also drafts a wide range of transactional documents involving intellectual property, including production services agreements, motion picture options, and record deals.
Oded earned a B.A. in Biochemistry from New York University, with Minors in Physics and Mathematics. A graduate of Brooklyn Law School, with a Certificate in IP, Media, and Information Law, Oded also gained valuable IP experience as a member of the school’s Incubator and Policy Clinic, where he drafted patent applications and invention assignment agreements for technology startups in the fields of wireless telecommunications, social media, home furnishings, and computer networking. He has taught on topics including computer programming, system administration, and cybersecurity, as an adjunct faculty member of New York University’s School of Professional Studies.
In the realm of toxic torts, Oded has represented numerous clients across a variety of industries, including serving as regional trial counsel for a Fortune 500 automotive manufacturer. His litigation experience encompasses all aspects of pre-trial case management, including fact investigations, taking and defending depositions, and engaging in settlement conferences, as well as the preparation of doctors, experts, and corporate representatives for trial and deposition testimony. He has also authored numerous successful and critical motions, including multiple post-trial motions to set aside verdicts based on plaintiffs’ failure to meet scientific causation standards.
Honors & Awards
New York Metro Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2018-20
- New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office
- Brooklyn Law School, J.D., 2010
- New York University, B.A., Biochemistry, 2001
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
Publications & Events
- Contributor, Goldberg Segalla’s Asbestos Case Tracker blog: read Oded’s blog posts here
- Quoted in “Ahead Of Talc Test, NYC Judge Gives Good News To Asbestos Defendants,” Forbes, January 31, 2019
- “FDA Focuses on Youth E-Cigarette Use as Juul Comes Under Fire in Civil Litigation” (Co-Author), DRI Toxic Torts and Environmental Law Newsletter, Vol. 21, Issue 3, December 14, 2018
- Quoted in “Study Undermines Key Theory Behind Talc Asbestos Lawsuits,” Forbes, December 4, 2018
- “Defense Strategies for Alternative Causation Arguments in Asbestos Cases” (Co-Author), Mealey’s, August 29, 2018
- “Glyphosate: Getting into the Weeds on the Science, the Litigation and the Analysis of Future Claim Risk” (Co-Presenters) FETTI Conference, Chicago, IL, September 25, 2019
- “Risky Business: How Causation is Discussed in the Courtroom,” Cardno ChemRisk Asbestos and Talc Science Seminar, Austin, TX, November 7, 2018
- “Risky Business: How Causation is Discussed in the Courtroom,” GS Toxic Tort and Environmental Webinar, March 21, 2019
September 12, 2019
February 1, 2019
December 18, 2018