Robert D. Whitney
Robert D. Whitney focuses his practice on representing clients in complex business litigation, insurance coverage litigation, business tort claims, personal injury suits, employment disputes, contract disputes, and appellate litigation. Robert has experience representing clients at all stages of complex litigation in state and federal courts throughout California, North Carolina, and across the country, as well as in alternative dispute forums, including mediation and arbitration. He advises and represents insurance carriers in first- and third-party coverage disputes and investigations, multi-million dollar complex coverage litigation, bad-faith litigation, business tort claims, and other commercial disputes. Robert has experience with various insurance products, including commercial general liability, commercial property and vehicle, professional errors and omissions, marine, and life policies. In addition, Robert advises and counsels employers in drafting and revising company policies and employee handbooks and in responding to requests under the Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), and other employment laws.
As a law student, Robert spent a summer as an extern for the Honorable Amy D. Hogue in the Los Angeles Superior Court. Following law school, he served as a law clerk in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of North Carolina.
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Southern, Eastern, and Central Districts of California
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Western, and Middle Districts of North Carolina
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Fourth and Ninth Circuits
- Duke University School of Law, J.D., cum laude, 2013
- Duke Forum for Law and Social Change : Executive Editor
- Guantanamo Defense Clinic: Student Attorney
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.S., Business Administration and Political Science, 2010
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- North Carolina Bar Association
- Wake County Bar Association