Robert J. Chomiak Jr.
Robert Chomiak is a seasoned litigator whose clients — manufacturers, major insurance companies, contractors, corporations, and municipalities, among others — rely on him for practical advice and solutions to a wide range of liability issues. With a focus on product liability, trucking law, premises liability, and other complex torts, Rob’s extensive experience translates into proven results, whether he is part of the rapid response team on day one of a crash investigation or he is trying a personal injury action arising from a multi-party premises liability case.
Rob’s product liability experience spans pharmaceuticals, automotive parts, furniture, consumer products, industrial machinery, and more. Rob works closely with his clients and expert witnesses to mitigate liability and successfully defend against complex and high-exposure claims. This proactive and strategic approach has resulted in many cases either resolving for pennies on the dollar or being dismissed via dispositive motions.
In addition, Rob has many years of experience serving the trucking industry. He has defended major trucking and transportation companies, from long-haul commercial trucking companies to prominent school bus operators, in complex and high exposure liability cases. Rob understands that early investigation is often the key to a successful defense and has participated in rapid response investigations at numerous accident sites.
Active in state and local bar associations, Rob is also a long-standing member of the Defense Research Institute, and served as Connecticut’s State Representative from 2015-2018.
- Obtained summary judgment for a major national truck leasing company in a wrongful death case
- Successfully mitigated school bus company’s exposure via accident reconstruction video in a high-exposure bus accident involving multiple claims, including the death of one student
- Obtained summary judgment in a product liability case against a major pharmaceutical manufacturer regarding an allegedly defective air inhaler
- Negotiated a favorable settlement in a product liability case involving finger amputations following injury from an allegedly defective flock cutting machine
- Obtained summary judgment in a product liability case against a major pharmaceutical manufacturer regarding a claim of a defective IUD
- Obtained a voluntary withdrawal of action for a major heating manufacturer in a fire loss case
- Successfully defended a major TV network in an action involving foot amputations due to defective slippers sold to a diabetic customer
- Successfully defended national furniture retailer in high exposure product defect claims
- Successfully defended major restaurant chains and distributors regarding significant food borne illnesses and damages, including a multimillion dollar paralytic shellfish poisoning claim
- Mitigated a client’s exposure to a fraction of potential value at mediation via a pending motion for summary judgment in a construction accident case involving a fall from scaffolding resulting in significant traumatic brain injuries
Honors & Awards
Martindale Hubbell, Notable-Very High Rating in Both Legal Ability and Ethical Standards, 2019
Defense Research Institute (DRI) Kevin Driskill Award, 2018
Best Lawyers in America, Personal Injury Litigation — Defendants, 2018–19
DRI Award for Outstanding State Representative, 2018
Martindale Hubbell, Notable-Peer Rated for High Ethical Standards, 2018
Admitted to Practice
- Connecticut, 1996
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- New England School of Law, J.D., 1996
- Boston University, B.A., cum laude, 1993
- Connecticut Defense Lawyers Association
- Chairman of the Board, 2015–16
- President, 2014–15
- Board of Directors, 2006 to present
- Executive Board, 2009 to present
- Defense Research Institute
- Trucking Committee and Product Liability Committee
- Connecticut State Representative 2015–18
- Transportation Lawyers Association
- Motor Transport Association of Connecticut
Publications & Events
August 15, 2018
August 17, 2017
October 5, 2015