Samantha Catone focuses her practice on defending large businesses, landowners, and contractors in premises liability and construction site personal injury litigation, including matters involving New York State Labor Law. Sammy also focuses a significant portion of her practice on Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) matters, including advising clients on compliance and risk management. She is a regular contributor to the firm’s OSHA: Legal Developments and Defense Strategies blog, and frequently writes and offers comment on OSHA-related issues for leading business and construction publications.
Sammy defends contractors, construction managers, developers, owners, and others against catastrophic personal injury claims arising from construction site accidents and alleged defects, including in matters arising under New York State Labor Law.
Sammy defends clients in a variety of industries against claims involving personal injury, premises liability, negligent security, property damage, and motor vehicle accidents, including uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) claims.
Sammy focuses a significant portion of her practice on representing and counseling employers in matters related to OSHA inspections, enforcement, and risk management. Sammy counsels employers throughout the OSHA enforcement process, including the initial inspection, issuance of citations, and subsequent analysis of defenses and strategy.
- New York
- U.S. District Court for the Western District of New York
- The State University of New York at Buffalo School of Law, J.D., 2017
- Buffalo Law Review: Note & Comment Editor
- Mental Hygiene Legal Service: Legal Intern
- Florida State University, B.S., cum laude, 2013
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Erie County
- Upstate Building Industry Alliance (UBIA)
Publications & Events
- Contributor, Goldberg Segalla’s “OSHA: Legal Developments and Defense Strategies” blog, read Samantha’s posts here
- “OSHA’s PSM Standard,” Modern Contractor Solutions, November 2019
- Quoted in “OSHA Embraces Leading Indicators,” EHS Today, November 5, 2019
- “Managing an OSHA Inspection,” Modern Contractor Solutions, July 2019
- “Unpreventable Employee Misconduct: Series on the Affirmative Defense” (Co-Author), Modern Contractor Solutions, February 2019
- Profiled in “Emerging Attorneys: Samantha Catone,” Buffalo Law Journal, December 3, 2018
- Presenter, “Analyzing OSHA’s Health Standards – What Employers Need to Know and Most Often Get Wrong,” 5th Annual Genesee Valley & Finger Lakes Region EHS Professional Development Conference, Rochester, NY, December 4, 2019
- Presenter, “OSHA’s Complex Process Safety Management Standard – Is Your Facility Affected?” 5th Annual Genesee Valley & Finger Lakes Region EHS Professional Development Conference, Rochester, NY, December 4, 2019
- Co-Presenter, “Addressing the OSHA ‘Low Hanging Fruit’ in Manufacturing – What You Need to Know,” DiVal 2019 Safety Summit, Niagara Falls, NY, June 4, 2019
- Co-Presenter, “Minimizing and Eliminating Exposure – Proactively Establishing the Recalcitrant Worker Defense to a Labor Law 240(1) Claim and the Unpreventable Employee Misconduct Defense to an OSHA Citation,” Associated Builders and Contractors, Ellicottville, NY, May 2, 2019
November 22, 2019
October 24, 2017
October 8, 2013