Stephen L. Jenkins
Stephen L. Jenkins counsels and defends clients in complex civil litigation matters, including toxic tort, mass tort, product liability, property damage, construction defects, and insurance claims. He defends businesses and other clients in matters involving wrongful death and catastrophic injury. He draws on more than 10 years of experience working for two high-profile toxic tort defense firms, where he represented boiler manufacturers, printing press manufacturers, drywall suppliers, and multiple contractors, and negotiated settlements for numerous multi-million dollar cases.
- Hasty v. Commercial Equipment Company: Prevailed on a summary judgment motion for a laborer contractor in a personal injury case in which the plaintiff alleged lung cancer and asbestosis from occupational exposure to asbestos.
- Portillas v. Individual: Successfully argued for the plaintiff to walk away with less than a quarter of his initial demand during a lengthy mediation in a personal injury auto accident case while defending an alleged drunk driver.
- Tomlin v. Fabrics Manufacturer: Prevailed on a summary judgment motion for a manufacturer defendant in Shasta County in a wrongful death action in which the plaintiffs alleged decedent died of mesothelioma from occupational exposure to asbestos.
- Del Rio v. Aerospace Company: Successful summary judgment motion for manufacturer defendant in a personal injury case in Los Angeles in which the plaintiff alleged mesothelioma from occupational exposure to asbestos.
- Chapman v. Engineering and Construction Company: Obtained a dismissal for a general contractor defendant in a personal injury action in which the plaintiff alleged asbestosis from occupational exposure to asbestos at a settlement conference a week before trial in Orange County.
Honors & Awards
Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2015-18
- U.S. District Courts for the Central, Eastern, and Southern Districts of California
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Pennsylvania
- Santa Clara University School of Law, J.D., 2004
- Phi Delta Phi International Legal Honor Society
- Vanderbilt University, B.A., cum laude, 2001
- State Bar of California
- California Department of Real Estate: Broker
Publications & Events
- Contributor, Goldberg Segalla’s Environmental Law Monitor blog: read Stephen’s blog posts here
- “Product Liability: California’s Consumer Expectation and Risk Benefit Test Applied in the Same Case,” Defense Litigation Insider, September 15, 2017