Troy Beecher, a partner and leader of the GIS Florida Team, has handled the investigation and litigation of complex and high-exposure first-party and third-party insurance coverage and liability matters in state and federal courts in over 35 Florida counties. His experience includes claims involving appraisal, bad faith, business interruption, and uninsured/underinsured motorist (UM/UIM) coverage, as well as large-loss property claims spanning fire losses, arson, sinkholes, hurricanes, hailstorms, and other extreme weather events. Troy also advises insurers on improving claims-handling and business practices as they pertain to insurance coverage and litigation.
Troy attended Drexel University on a Navy ROTC scholarship and studied in Bonn, Germany, where he interned with the German Defense Ministry. After graduating with a B.S. in International Studies and a concentration in German, Troy received a commission as an officer in the U.S. Naval Reserves and began his military career on the U.S. Mission to Germany, where he assisted with the U.S. Embassy’s relocation from Bonn to Berlin. He served his first tour of duty in Mayport, Florida as an engineering officer and his ship’s legal officer, assisting the commanding officer in the prosecution of non-judicial punishments and administrative actions. His first tour also included participation in America’s first response to the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Troy’s second tour took him to Gaeta, Italy, as assistant operations officer for the Sixth Fleet command ship controlling all European-Mediterranean naval operations, during which time he participated in the opening of the 2003 Iraq War. Troy received an honorable discharge as lieutenant, and is a two-time recipient of the Navy-Marine Corps Achievement Medal.
As a first-party property coverage litigator, Troy regularly defends insurers facing Florida’s leading policyholders’ advocates, handling each claim from inception through completion to include examinations under oath, motion practice, mediations, and trials. Insurers also regularly call on Troy for coverage opinions based upon his exhaustive investigations.
Troy’s third-party coverage experience includes advising insurers of their duty to defend or indemnity on a variety of liability claims, including but not limited to bodily injury, property damage, premises liability, negligent security, construction defect, and professional liability. His comprehensive practice includes motion practice, existence of coverage analyses, and trial litigation. His coverage experience on third-party liability claims is enhanced by his previous experience defending insureds in third-party claims.
Honors & Awards
Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating: AV Preeminent
Florida Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2016–17
National Trial Lawyers’ Top 100
Navy-Marine Corps Achievement Medal
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern, Middle, and Southern Districts of Florida
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of Houston, L.L.M., Intellectual Property and Information Law, 2008
- Stetson University College of Law, J.D., 2006
- Drexel University, B.S., 1999
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance (CLM)
- The Florida Bar
Publications & Events
- “Covered vs. Non-Covered Claims: Allocating Defense and Indemnity Payments” (Co-Presenter), Client Presentation, Wayne, PA, December 7, 2018
- “Insurance Policy Rescission: Misrepresentation Found, What Comes Next?” Client Presentation, Chicago, IL, July 25, 2018
- “Additional Insured Claims,” Client Presentation, Raleigh, NC, June 21, 2018
- “First-Party Property” (Co-Presenter), GIS Webinar, May 22, 2018