SCUBA and Diving Professionals Liability
Boutique attention. Professional diving expertise. Nationwide reach and defense capabilities.
Goldberg Segalla’s Diving Professionals Liability practice is an innovative and hybrid legal service model designed—by a senior litigator and certified Divemaster—to deliver superior counsel and defense to the highly specialized market of insurers serving the professional diving community. No matter the combination of claim, location, exposure, budget, and billing expectations, this team is ready and equipped to help.
Combining the reach and resources of a Management and Professional Liability practice renowned for its success with sophisticated and high-stakes assignments and a General Liability practice recognized for its deep bench of trial-tested attorneys, our team can handle diving professional liability claims stemming from accidents and incidents on virtually any major body of water in the U.S. As a law firm of 400 attorneys in 22 offices across 10 states, Goldberg Segalla is positioned to defend cases all across the country, deploying lawyers from offices on the Great Lakes, in the Metro New York and Chesapeake Bay regions, across the East Coast and into Florida, down the Mississippi, and out to California. With oversight and hands-on involvement from National Diving Professional Liability Coordinating Counsel Jason A. Botticelli, a certified Divemaster, we can also ensure that we always deliver tailored defense strategies and proven tactics founded on a deep understanding of the industry and its professional standards.
We counsel and defend clients including:
- Boat Owners/operators
- Dive shop owners
Our vast array of defense attorneys can handle various claims of liability including:
- Improper training
- Improper safety protocol
- Violations of standards and policies
- Virtually all dive-related injuries and/or boating accidents
Legal and Professional Experience—Where It Counts
Though SCUBA diving is a recreational sport, there are risks whenever someone puts on SCUBA gear and enters the underwater world. Because of this inherent risk, a high level of training goes into becoming a dive professional. The responsibilities of instructors, Divemasters, boat operators, and dive shop owners are great, and include proper training before the first dive, assuming some responsibilities for both experienced and novice divers, and making sure all safety procedures are in place and followed both on shore and on open waters.
Jason A. Botticelli serves as National Diving Professional Liability Coordinating Counsel, leading the defense of claims across our nationwide footprint. Jason’s experience and training include:
- National Association of Underwater Instructors (NAUI)-certified Divemaster
- Affiliated with Dip ‘N Dive in Buffalo, New York, Jason helps instructors to train over 100 new divers each year and leads them on dives in Lake Erie, Lake Huron, and the Niagara River
- Well-versed in diving regulations, Jason has authored articles on professional diver liability and dive preparation for Sport Diver
- Licensed in New York and Pennsylvania, Jason regularly assists with and oversees litigation across and beyond Goldberg Segalla’s 22-office, 10-state footprint
Professional Partnership for Defense and Risk Management
Insurers and their professional insureds rely on us and our experience for much more than litigation. Numerous national and regional insurance carriers have brought our attorneys in to lecture their underwriting and claims staff on exposures, especially emerging exposures, and trends in claims and litigation. We also regularly publish on both claims-handling and coverage—though our clients are always the first to benefit from our analysis and assessments of the latest trends, through alerts, publications, podcasts, and frequent and timely communication.
Jason Botticelli and others in our Diving Professional Liability Practice are available upon request to deliver webinars or on-site presentations on virtually any aspect of diving professional liability, emerging professional liability trends and exposures, and claims-handling practices.
- Read Jason Botticelli’s article, “Understanding Your Liability as a Scuba Diving Professional,” in Sport Diver. In it, Jason addresses standards of negligence for professional divers in relation to such things as dive conditions and decision-making, and more.
Showing 0 of 0 results