Jack L. Cohen
Jack L. Cohen is a proven trial attorney with nearly four decades of experience representing major corporations and professionals in the banking, realty, insurance, and other industries. He counsels and defends employers, financial advisors, accountants, board members of homeowner associations, architects and engineers, and other professionals in a range of general liability matters. Jack has successfully tried multiple cases involving New York Labor Law, products liability, traumatic brain injuries, premises liability, personal injury, infectious disease, property damage arising from fire, and actions resulting from the interstate carriage of goods. His practice also includes litigating matters in the realms of professional liability, directors and officers (D&O) liability, accounting malpractice, fair housing, and employment discrimination.
A former law secretary to the Chief Judge of the City of New York Commission on Human Rights, Jack has a wealth of experience in employment and housing discrimination matters. He has argued these matters before state and municipal agencies, and in proceedings involving the United States Department of Housing and Urban Development, including successfully arguing a housing discrimination appeal before the United States Court of Appeals for the 2nd Circuit. He has also successfully represented condominium, cooperative and community association cases throughout the state of New York.
A trusted authority within his areas of focus, Jack has published on the evolution of bad faith litigation and waiver of subrogation clauses in real estate and construction contracts, and regularly presents on anti-subrogation, arson litigation, New York State Labor Law, discrimination, retaliation, and reasonable accommodation in venues across New York.
- Representative Matters
- Successfully argued and won a housing discrimination matter under the Fair Housing Act in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Obtained a defense verdict in a complex foodborne illness action against a demand of $8 million
- Resolved numerous claims against architects with no indemnity paid
- Obtained a judgment of dismissal in favor of a construction client against a $1.5 million claim for property damage filed by an international general contracting firm
- Obtained a defense verdict in a Labor Law claim brought on behalf of an ironworker alleging serious leg injuries
Jack is recognized for his diverse and extensive experience handling traumatic brain injury litigation, and clients regularly call on him to serve as a consultant in related matters. He was a member of a major national insurer’s Traumatic Brain Injury Center of Excellence, where he was awarded the carrier’s Focus Award in 2002 and 2004.
- Representative Matters
- Obtained a defense verdict in a claim by a property manager alleging traumatic brain injury
Honors & Awards
Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating: AV Preeminent
- New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- U.S. Courts of Appeals for the Second and Eighth Circuits
- University of Miami School of Law, J.D., 1979
- Herbert H. Lehman College of the City University of New York, 1975
- New York State Bar Association
- Board of Temple Micah, Lawrenceville, NJ
July 27, 2020
September 24, 2019
January 22, 2019