Jeffrey S. Matty focuses his practice on counseling and defending domestic and international insurers on a variety of complex coverage matters involving errors and omissions, directors and officers, specialty- line policies, breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and bad faith. Jeff also represents insureds in professional liability claims involving directors and officers, lawyers, and accountants, and defends architects and engineers in construction-defect claims arising out of structural failures, including collapses of buildings and cranes. In addition, he defends manufacturers and distributors of chemical and mechanical products against design-defect and inadequate-warning product-liability claims, as well as general contractors, project managers, property owners, and developers against suits involving New York State Labor Law.
Jeff advises insurers and private clients on emerging issues involving data breaches, cyber-attacks, Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) violations and electronic fraud, and represents insurers in coverage disputes involving technology and media insurance policies, such as reality television filming, documentary filming, and video game data breaches.
Jeff’s prior experience includes prosecuting recovery actions on behalf of insurers in the United States and London, including Lloyd’s syndicates, in matters involving commercial and residential property loss and business interruption claims, as well as defending medical and legal malpractice suits and catastrophic and complex personal injury claims.
Honors & Awards
Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating: AV Preeminent
- New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Southern, Eastern, Northern, and Western Districts of New York
- Hofstra University School of Law, J.D.
- Emory University, B.A.
- Defense Research Institute
- Professional Liability Underwriting Society
News & Knowledge
Publications & Events
- “Specialty Lines: 2021 Year in Review,” (Co-Presenter), GS Webinar Series, January 12, 2022
- “Year in Review 2020: Specialty Lines,” (Co-Presenter), GS Webinar Series, January 28, 2021
- “Year in Review: Specialty Lines,” (Co-Presenter), GS Webinar Series, December 17, 2019