An accomplished litigator and trial counsel with more than 20 years of experience, Jennifer L. Budner represents construction clients in personal injury and wrongful death litigation, focused primarily on high-exposure labor law cases. She has served as national coordinating counsel for a Fortune 500 company, conducted trials in matters with multi-million-dollar verdict potential, and achieved favorable settlement of numerous catastrophic loss matters. In addition to defending clients in critical jury and non-jury trials, Jennifer regularly advises them on construction risk management, jobsite accident response, and investigation and mitigation strategies. She shares thought leadership in service to the construction industry, including an examination of Carlos’ Law for the Associated General Contractors of New York State (AGC NYS). Jennifer also serves on the leadership teams for the firm’s Construction Litigation and Counsel as well as Civil Litigation and Trial practice groups. In addition to her construction focus, Jennifer counsels and defends a wide variety of clients in premises liability, labor law, and a variety of other general liability actions.
Before joining Goldberg Segalla, Jennifer handled the defense of complex, high-value personal injury matters and represented large property owners in labor law litigation as an in-house litigation and trial counsel for a major insurance carrier. Earlier in her career, she defended the City of New York in all aspects of tort litigation including premises liability, labor law, and police cases as an Assistant Corporation Counsel in the New York City Law Department Office of the Corporation Counsel.
Committed to helping women build their confidence and skill set in order to advance in the legal profession, Jennifer is active in the firm’s mentoring program and in the leadership group of the Goldberg Segalla Women’s Initiative, where she helps set the group’s agenda, organize programs, and coordinate speakers.
- Obtained favorable defense verdict in Kings County personal injury trial where the plaintiff alleged a severe drop foot injury with deformity.
- Obtained summary judgment resulting in outright dismissal in seven Supreme Court actions venued in New York, Kings, Richmond, and Suffolk counties.
- Achieved liability defense verdict in Kings County on behalf of property owner in a premises liability action.
- Obtained favorable defense verdict in Bronx County action where a high school student inhaled toxic fumes, claiming permanent reactive airways disease and severe asthma.
- Obtained defense verdict in premises liability action in Bronx County.
- Negotiated favorable settlement after the close of defense in a Bronx County matter where the plaintiff claimed lower back injury resulting in severe neurological impairment.
- Negotiated favorable defense settlements at various stages of trial in multiple matters throughout Bronx, Kings, New York, and Richmond counties.
- New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of New York
- City University of New York School of Law, J.D., 2000
- Moot Court Team
- Florida Atlantic University, B.S., 1993
- Bronx Bar Association, 2021 to Present
- The Bridge Transcends, Mentor, 2021 to Present
- New York City Association of Insurance Women, 2021 to Present
- New York City Bar Association, 2015 to Present
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance, 2014 to Present
- National Organization for Women Lawyers (NAWL), 2016 to Present
- Her Justice, Pro-Bono Attorney, 2011 to present
News & Knowledge
Publications & Events
- “Managing the Risk of Carlos’ Law,” (Co-Presenter), Associated General Contractors of New York State (AGC NYS), New York, NY, May 23, 2023
- “The Use of Quasi-Judicial Decisions to Win Your Case,” CLE Course, New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers, 2020-21
- “Today’s Verdict with David Lesch,” Guest Speaker, Bronx Bar Association, 2020-21
- “Contractual and Common Law Indemnification, Avoiding Pitfalls,” CLE Course, New York State Bar Association and New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers, 2020-21
- “Workers’ Compensation in New York,” Berkley Insurance Company, Dallax, TX, 2013
- “Ethical Considerations and the IME,” Chubb Insurance Company, New York, NY, 2006
- “Women Supporting Women: A Conversation Between a Claims Leader and Defense Counsel,” GS Women’s Initiative Webinar Series, October 19, 2023
- “Risk Transfer, Employer Liability, and Grave Injuries: Who Is Going to Pay?” (Co-Presenter), GS Webinar Series, June 14, 2023