Jennifer L. Budner
A highly experienced litigator and trial counsel, Jennifer L. Budner defends clients in personal injury and wrongful death litigation with a focus on handling high exposure labor and construction law matters for more than 20 years. She has represented a wide variety of clients including property owners and contractors in premises liability and Labor Law actions, product manufacturers in product liability actions, and a variety of business owners in employment law actions. She represents clients in jury and non-jury trials, conducting party and expert depositions, and defending clients in all court proceedings including mediations. In addition, Jennifer has served as national coordinating counsel for a Fortune 500 company, overseeing litigation and trials nationwide. She achieved settlement of numerous catastrophic loss matters and conducted trials in matters with multi-million-dollar verdict potential.
As in-house litigation and trial counsel for a major insurance carrier, Jennifer handled the defense of complex, high value personal injury matters and represented large property owners in labor law litigation from case inception through mediation and trial. Earlier in her career, she defended the City of New York in all aspects of tort litigation including premises liability, labor law, and police cases as an Assistant Corporation Counsel in the New York City Law Department Office of the Corporation Counsel.
- Obtained favorable defense verdict in Kings County personal injury trial where the plaintiff alleged a severe drop foot injury with deformity.
- Obtained summary judgment resulting in outright dismissal in seven Supreme Court actions venued in New York, Kings, Richmond, and Suffolk counties.
- Achieved liability defense verdict in Kings County on behalf of property owner in a premises liability action.
- Obtained favorable defense verdict in Bronx County action where a high school student inhaled toxic fumes, claiming permanent reactive airways disease and severe asthma.
- Obtained defense verdict in premises liability action in Bronx County.
- Negotiated favorable settlement after the close of defense in a Bronx County matter where the plaintiff claimed lower back injury resulting in severe neurological impairment.
- Negotiated favorable defense settlements at various stages of trial in multiple matters throughout Bronx, Kings, New York, and Richmond counties.
- New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Northern, and Southern Districts of New York
- City University of New York School of Law, J.D., 2000
- Moot Court Team
- Florida Atlantic University, B.S., 1993
- Bronx Bar Association, 2021 to Present
- The Bridge Transcends, Mentor, 2021 to Present
- New York City Association of Insurance Women, 2021 to Present
- New York City Bar Association, 2015 to Present
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance, 2014 to Present
- National Organization for Women Lawyers (NAWL), 2016 to Present
- Her Justice, Pro-Bono Attorney, 2011 to present
Publications & Events
- “The Use of Quasi-Judicial Decisions to Win Your Case,” CLE Course, New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers, 2020-21
- “Today’s Verdict with David Lesch,” Guest Speaker, Bronx Bar Association, 2020-21
- “Contractual and Common Law Indemnification, Avoiding Pitfalls,” CLE Course, New York State Bar Association and New York State Academy of Trial Lawyers, 2020-21
- “Workers’ Compensation in New York,” Berkley Insurance Company, Dallax, TX, 2013
- “Ethical Considerations and the IME,” Chubb Insurance Company, New York, NY, 2006
January 18, 2023