Joanne J. Romero
Joanne J. Romero concentrates her practice on representing employers in employment discrimination and harassment cases in state and federal courts, as well as before administrative agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC), New York State Division of Human Rights, and New York City Commission on Human Rights. She also handles disability accessibility compliance claims under city (NYCHRL), state (NYSHRL), and federal law (Title III of the ADA, Fair Housing Act). Clients turn to Joanne for proactive counsel that focuses on implementing preventative, corrective, and remedial measures. She also has appellate experience at the state and federal level.
Joanne’s practice also involves defending professionals — attorneys, design professionals, insurance agents and brokers, directors and officers, and more — against errors and omissions claims in civil proceedings brought in state and federal courts. In addition, her litigation background includes handling matters related to copyright and trademark infringement, right of publicity, defamation, and unfair competition claims.
- Joanne devotes a significant portion of her practice to counseling and defending employers in claims alleging race and gender discrimination, as well as claims of sexual harassment and hostile work environment.
- Represented an employer in federal court in a civil lawsuit alleging sexual harassment and a hostile work environment
- Represented an employer and Board of Directors in a pre-suit matter alleging sexual harassment and a hostile work environment
- Represented a business owner in a pre-suit matter alleging race discrimination
- Represented a business owner in state court in a matter involving allegations of gender discrimination and sexual misconduct
- Represented an employer in an administrative proceeding alleging discrimination based on pregnancy and caregiver status
- Represented Board of Education members and school administrators in various Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (EEOC) and federal court matters involving claims of racial discrimination and harassment
- Joanne regularly defends property owners, managers of public accommodations and housing, Board of Managers of condominiums and cooperatives, interior designers, and website owners in cases alleging disability accessibility discrimination.
- Represented housing providers and property managers in administrative proceedings concerning reasonable accommodation requests for emotional support animals
- Represented a housing provider and property manager in an administrative proceeding alleging discrimination based on disability and familial status
- Represented restaurants and real estate management companies in accessibility discrimination cases
- Represented website owners in accessibility discrimination cases
- Joanne’s commercial litigation experience includes representing businesses and management in disputes involving breach of contract, breach of fiduciary duty, and fraud.
- Represented clients in restrictive covenant disputes in federal court
- Represented a condominium Board of Managers and real estate management company facing claims of mismanagement, self-dealing, and breach of fiduciary duty
- New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern and Southern Districts of New York
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
- Georgetown University Law Center, J.D., 2000
- Wellesley College, B.A., 1994
- American Bar Association
- New York Bar Association
Publications & Events
- “Service and Support Animals: Welcoming Emotional Support Animals and/or Service Animals to your Dealership,” Fixed Ops, January/February 2020
- Co-Author, “Enforceability of a Personal Jurisdiction/Forum Selection Clause Against an Employee’s New Employer in a Non-Compete Dispute,” American Bar Association Professionals’, Officers’, and Directors’ Liability Newsletter, Summer 2014
- “Employment Screening: Background Checks, Drug Testing, and COVID-19” (Co-Presenter), GS Webinar Series, June 25, 2020
- “Hiring Dos and Don’ts – Best Practices for Everything From Interviews to Onboarding,” GS Webinar Series, March 28, 2019
- “ADA Webinar Series: The Evolving Landscape of Assistance Animals Under the ADA and FHA” (Co-Presenter), GS Webinar Series, July 19, 2018
- Contributor, “Legal Challenges with Emotional Support and Service Animals,” Timely Notice, October 30, 2018
November 6, 2019
November 6, 2019
September 25, 2019
August 22, 2019