Disruptions of industries and enhancements in information technology provide exciting new opportunities to professional employer organizations (PEOs) and technology companies operating in the rapidly evolving gig economy. But major players in new or developing markets attract risk, scrutiny, and the attention of the plaintiffs’ bar.
Attorneys in our Workers’ Compensation, General Liability, Employment and Labor, and other practice groups understand these industry-specific issues. As a firm founded by trial lawyers with a reputation for continuously improving practices and extensive experience counseling and defending companies in these sectors, Goldberg Segalla is exceptionally well positioned to represent PEOs and clients in the gig economy through all of the challenges they face now — and in the future. As many leaders in these industries have recognized, Goldberg Segalla’s unsurpassed experience and cost-effective approach make all the difference.
- Our attorneys recognize the need to support the PEO-client relationship by minimizing interference with the client company’s business while aggressively seeking claim closure
- When necessary, we employ an innovative and aggressive evidence-based defense for PEOs facing workers’ compensation claims filed by employees of former clients or direct employees of current clients — often parachuting in to take on late-stage claims from other counsel
- We boast an outstanding track record in New York — a hotbed and national bellweather of litigation against technology companies operating in the gig economy — for securing dismissal of claims or settling them before trial
- With national Construction and Trucking/Transportation practice groups, we are well versed not just in the PEO industry but also in industries of significant market value to PEOs
- With over 400 attorneys and a 10-state, 22-office footprint stretching from Los Angeles to Long Island — and experience handling matters well beyond — we have the bench strength and resources to litigate and try claims or counsel clients virtually anywhere in the nation
Resources for PEOs and Insurers
Because of our experience defending workers’ compensation claims in this evolving industry, we have been able to develop, deploy, and constantly improve strategies to defeat claims and prove lack of coverage on the part of PEOs. Our attorneys have turned those insights into a whitepaper for our clients.
Read “Successfully Defending Against New York Workers’ Compensation Claims as a Professional Employer Organization,” a whitepaper from Goldberg Segalla.
For more information about our experience or to request informational materials, please reach out to one of Goldberg Segalla’s key contacts for PEOs and gig economy companies.
Ben S. Greenberg
919.582.0814 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Concentrates his practice on workers’ compensation claims and disability and discrimination suits in state and federal court, including defending clients before all levels of the Industrial Commission, North Carolina Superior Courts, the North Carolina Court of Appeals, and the U.S. District Court for the Western District of North Carolina
- Extensive experience representing PEOs both in and out of the transportation industry with an emphasis on pre-claim strategies to mitigate exposure, planning for jurisdictional disputes, and resolving claims as efficiently as possible
- Regular presenter on the interplay of workers’ compensation, Family and Medical Leave Act (FMLA), and Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) issues as well as claims mitigation strategies for employers