In Focus: Goldberg Segalla’s Opioid Impact Program
Goldberg Segalla stands with employers and insurance carriers on the front lines of the national opioid epidemic, helping our clients to face the impacts of increased costs in legacy claims, controlling usage of prescription medications in new claims, and reducing inflated Medicare Set-Asides (MSAs) through the removal of excessive treatment recommendations like SCS and prescription medications.
As part of Goldberg Segalla’s pioneering Workers’ Compensation practice, we offer clients a comprehensive Opioid Impact Program (OIP) designed to helps claims professionals and risk managers reduce claimants’ use of prescription medications, and to identify and mitigate claims that have the potential to spiral out of control in cost and exposure. This program is a litigation tool that works with clients’ existing Pharmacy Benefit Management (PBM) and other programs that target voluntary reduction of prescription medications that drive up the cost of claims and settlement.
Through OIP, Goldberg Segalla has been able to make a bottom-line difference for clients both within our 10-state, 22-office physical footprint and well beyond. Our services include:
- Deploying early identification strategies targeting the key indicators of potentially problematic cases involving opioids and prescription drugs
- Aggressively litigating to reduce prescriptions, lower high MSAs, discredit problem physicians, and close costly claims
- Consulting on opioid-related issues in risk management programs across the entire country
- Establishing protocols to limit new prescriptions for new and older cases
- Educating claims professionals on identification, mitigation, and closure strategies
- Publishing and presenting widely on issues related to opioids and workers’ compensation, and advocating for legal, governmental, and community efforts to address the national opioid epidemic
Our OIP is built on an informed and litigation-tested tactical playbook for identifying, isolating, and reducing claims with high prescription medication costs. Coordinated across the firm’s coast-to-coast footprint and implemented by experienced attorneys with deep backgrounds in industries ranging from retail and entertainment to trucking and construction, the program is scalable and adaptable to virtually any client’s unique needs and circumstances.
In addition to OIP, Goldberg Segalla’s interdisciplinary Opioid Exposures practice exists to serve all types of businesses and individuals involved with or affected by the opioid industry. The group can handle virtually any litigated matter and advise on complicated opioid-related legal issues spanning the full range of the firm’s practice areas and industry-specific capabilities, from employment practices and workers’ compensation litigation to product liability, medical malpractice, and insurance coverage.