David G. Harris II
David G. Harris II focuses his practice on the defense and counsel of insurance carriers in matters involving the interpretation of insurance policies, evaluation of coverage claims, and defense of bad faith and extra-contractual claims. As an insurance coverage litigator, David represents insurers in declaratory judgment actions seeking coverage and allocation determinations, and defends them against a variety of first-party claims, including bad faith and unfair trade practice claims.
An authority on emerging legal issues in the insurance industry, David has written numerous articles with the American Law Institute’s “Restatement of the Law of Liability Insurance” project, and draws on this knowledge to counsel clients on a wide range of complex and pressing matters, as well as to advise carriers on innovative strategies to help clients achieve desired results.
Prior to entering private practice, David served as a law clerk at the North Carolina General Assembly.
David defends clients against property damage disputes involving matters such as fire, theft, and coverage issues arising out of catastrophic events. His practice also includes representing insurers and their insureds in complex liability matters, including construction defect actions arising out of large multi-family construction projects, catastrophic personal injury and wrongful death claims, defective product actions, and professional negligence claims.
Honors & Awards
North Carolina Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, Insurance Coverage, 2014–18
Admitted to Practice
- North Carolina
- South Carolina
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of North Carolina
- U.S. District Court for the District of South Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., 2006, with honors
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, B.S., 2001, with honors
Training and Certifications
- Department of Labor OSHA-10 Construction Training
- North Carolina Bar Association
- South Carolina Bar Association
- Jamestown Youth League: Soccer Coach
Publications & Events
- Contributor, Goldberg Segalla’s The Insurance & Reinsurance blog: read David’s blog posts here
- Co-Author, “ALI Restatement Brings Change and Uncertainty for Carriers,” Carrier Management, September 12, 2018
- Quoted in “Insurers Concerned as New Legal Guidelines Are Drafted by Prominent Group,” Legal Newsline/Forbes.com, October 25, 2016
- Quoted in “Lawyers at Odds Over Restatement of Law Covering Liability Insurance,” Legal Newsline, September 23, 2016
- Co-Author, “The ALI Adopts Significant Portions of the ‘Restatement of the Law of Liability Insurance,'” Claims Journal, June 16, 2016
- Presenter, “Privacy and Data Security — Is There Coverage for That?” North Carolina Bar Association, January 2018
- Presenter, “The ALI’s Restatement of the Law of Liability Insurance and the Impact of the Restatement on the North Carolina Insurance Law Practitioner,” North Carolina Association of Defense Attorneys Winter Conference, Durham, NC, January 27, 2017
August 29, 2018
October 25, 2016
January 22, 2016