G. Calvin Awkward III
Calvin Awkward III is an experienced litigator who defends clients in a wide range of matters involving construction, transportation, personal injury, property damage, and related insurance coverage issues. He coordinates rapid response investigations into accidents involving catastrophic personal injuries and/or property damage. He also counsels builders and contractors in a wide variety of matters including construction defect litigation and risk management.
A significant amount of Calvin’s practice includes construction industry matters, primarily focused on litigation surrounding construction defects. In his role as counsel in construction cases, he has represented property owners, general contractors, and subcontractors for residential and commercial properties throughout the litigation process. Additionally, he handles premises liability claims at residential and commercial properties. He has also represented a wide range of retail clients, including apartment complexes, property owners, property managers, big box retailers, and private security companies.
Calvin has appeared for more than 100 depositions and participated in dozens of alternative dispute resolutions, including complex multi-party settlement negotiations and mediations. In addition to his trial litigation experience, he has appellate experience in Maryland, D.C., and the Fourth Circuit Court of Appeals.
Prior to entering private practice, Calvin spent two years as a clerk for the Hon. John H. Tisdale and the Hon. Theresa M. Adams in the Circuit Court of Frederick County, Maryland. During law school, he served as a student attorney in the Community Legal Practice Center Clinic, providing legal services to low-income individuals in Rockbridge County, Virginia.
- Defended a dismissal of a plaintiff’s claim based on the absence of sufficient factual information that would support a claim that a duty of case was owed to him stemming from an assault by a third-party at Union Station. See Magruder, Jr., Aloysuis v. Union Station Redevelopment, et al.
- Defended judgment in favor of a client, a condominium association, on its request for injunctive relief based on restrictive covenants and entry of judgment against the property owner on counter claim for declaratory judgment, breach of contract, and violation of the Maryland Consumer Debt Collection Act. See Spoon v. Deering Woods Condo.
- Defended a court order granting summary judgment on appeal addressing social host liability and premises liability. See Hansberger v. Smith.
- Defended a court order granting summary judgment on appeal on an issue of trespasser status of a contractor entering home damaged by fire. See Gorospe v. Nova Constr. & Consulting.
- Prepared a successful dispositive motion and appellate brief on behalf of a client and defendant Ballenger Creek Meadows in a matter arising from debt collection efforts for non-payment of post-bankruptcy petition homeowners’ association assessments owed by Heffner. See Heffner v. Brooksquare Condo.
- Prepared an appellate brief asserting that the lower court was correct in finding that a counterclaim is not to be considered and that the well-pleaded complaint rule applies in determining entitlement to a jury trial. See McKlveen v. Monika Courts Condo.
- Obtained summary judgment in a wrongful death suit involving a shooting at an apartment complex.
- Obtained summary judgment in a slip-and-fall claim asserted against a security company based on the absence of a duty of care and notice of the alleged dangerous condition.
- Obtained dismissal of a wrongful death suit in favor of a property manager involving a resident’s fall from open window in an apartment building.
- Successfully argued a motion to dismiss claim against a property owner arising out of assault by a third-party.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice by the plaintiff and in favor of a contractor performing mortgage field services, including property preservation, registrations, and inspections arising out of alleged property damage.
- Defeated a demand for arbitration against a contractor in the American Arbitration Association.
- Reached successful settlement on behalf of a general contractor arising out of an alleged defective home renovation.
- Defended against an arbitration claim in excess of $4 million against a general contractor in the construction of a hotel.
- Negotiated a successful settlement on behalf of a general contractor in litigation where a council of unit owners sought damages for six buildings comprising a residential community.
- Defeated dispositive motions seeking judgment in favor of multiple subcontractors regarding claims by a general contractor for breach of contract, common law indemnification, and contribution.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a delivery company on claims for negligent training supervision and negligent entrustment.
- Obtained dismissal with prejudice by the plaintiff and in favor of a transportation company arising out of alleged property damage.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of a delivery company on the basis of statutory bar to claim.
Honors & Awards
The National Black Lawyers Top 100 – Maryland, 2020
Maryland Super Lawyers Rising Star, 2019
- Washington, D.C.
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of Maryland
- Washington and Lee University School of Law, J.D., 2009
- Washington and Lee University, B.A., 2006
- Defense Research Institute: Voice of The Defense Bar, 2020 to present
- Diversity Committee
- Construction Law Committee
- Bar Association of Frederick County, 2009 to present
- Young Lawyers Section Co-Chair, 2010
- District of Columbia Bar Association, 2014 to present
- Maryland State Bar Association, 2010 to present
- Virginia State Bar Association, 2009 to present
- University of Baltimore
- Law Career Development Office Practice Interviewing Evening
- BLSA Annual Practice Interviewing Evening: Interviewer 2020
- Law Career Development Office Practice Interviewing Evening
- Washington and Lee University Alumni Association
- Law Class of 2009: Class Agent/Reunion Co-Chair
- Class of 2006 Reunion Committee
- Washington and Lee University Law School
- Young Alumni Board
- Law Council: Elected to serve for 2021-22 academic year
- Washington and Lee University Williams School of Commerce
Publications & Events
- “Prevalent Issues Arising in Construction Defect Cases in Maryland and the District of Columbia,” (Co-Presenter), GS Webinar Series, May 20, 2021