Ioannis S. Athanasopoulos
Ioannis Athanasopoulos counsels employers, insurers, and third-party administrators in workers’ compensation matters and defends them in litigation before the New Jersey Division of Workers’ Compensation and in workers’ compensation vicinages throughout the state.
Ioannis’ practice includes answering, defending, and arguing motions for medical and temporary disability benefits; engaging in trials over compensability of benefits; and negotiating and settling claims during permanency. He draws on four years of experience as a workers’ compensation litigator for the largest provider of workers’ compensation insurance policies in New Jersey, and two years as general counsel to solar power and construction companies. In addition, his experience includes acting as managing attorney of his own private practice.
While attending Rutgers University, Ioannis spent time as an intern to the Hon. Martin G. Cronin in the Superior Court of New Jersey Criminal Division. During law school, he gained additional experience serving as a student trainee in the U.S. Department of Defense and as an intern in the U.S. Department of Commerce. He was also a law intern and later a volunteer associate in the public service with the New Jersey Office of the Attorney General.
Ioannis remains closely affiliated with Rutgers, where he earned his J.D.: He has served as an instructor of American Constitutional Law in the university’s pre-college program, delivered the undergraduate Honors College keynote commencement address, and received the university’s award for Excellence in Alumni Leadership.
- New Jersey
- District of Columbia
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- Rutgers University School of Law, J.D., 2010
- C. Clyde Ferguson Law School Scholarship
- Eric R. Neisser Pro Bono Program
- Rutgers University School of Criminal Justice, M.A., Criminal Justice, 2007
- Rutgers University, B.S., 2006
- Criminal Justice Honors Society: Founder and President
- Pre-Law Society: President
- EOF Community Service Award
- North Jersey Claims Association
- Rutgers School of Criminal Justice Alumni Association; President, 2010–13
Publications & Events
- Quoted in “Workplace Parking Lot Injuries Focus of Proposed Legislation,” Business Insurance, February 10, 2021
- Presenter, “New Jersey Due Process and Jurisdiction within the Workers’ Compensation Court System,” New Jersey Claims Association (NJCA), November 7, 2019
- Keynote Speaker, Rutgers University Honors College Graduation, 2012
April 19, 2021
April 14, 2021
February 10, 2021
January 26, 2021
December 18, 2018
April 23, 2018