James M. Rozak
James M. Rozak focuses his practice on representing clients in business, commercial, and product liability litigation in state and federal courts across the country. Jim has successfully represented manufacturers, service firms, and retail establishments in business disputes and in defense of lawsuits seeking damages for bodily injury. His product liability work includes counseling and defending clients in cases involving fire and explosion across the country as national counsel for major manufacturers of consumer appliances. In addition, he handles business disputes involving temporary and permanent restraining orders, including cases involving threats against corporate executives and contractual disputes. He also represents clients in construction and insurance coverage disputes. The foundation of his courtroom experience was formed as a state prosecutor in the Chicago area where he tried 30 jury and over 200 bench trials.
Jim is the immediate-past Chair of the Defense Research Institute (DRI) Fire and Casualty Specialized Litigation Group. He was the featured speaker at the National Fire Protection Association’s 2009 Conference and Exposition, presenting on the topic of evidentiary challenges with NFPA 921, the National Fire Protection Association’s guide for fire and explosion investigations. He also presented on the use of NFPA 921 at DRI’s 2006 Product Liability Seminar. In addition, Jim has spoken on a variety of product liability issues, including arson investigations, and has authored articles on topics such as early involvement in fire investigations and the defense and investigation of electric shock claims.
For the last two years, Jim has volunteered as a speaker and mentor at the College of DuPage Career Fair for high school seniors who are considering careers in law, law enforcement, and fire science. He also enjoys volunteering with his children at both the Greater Chicago Food Depository and the Northern Illinois Food Bank.
- Represented an insulation manufacturer in a complex asbestos exposure case brought by employees of a major tobacco plant in Alabama
- Represented the manufacturer of one of the best-selling dietary supplements containing ephedra in a class action lawsuit in Chicago
- Successfully represented a nationwide health club chain in an appeal of the validity of its exculpatory agreement against a claim of catastrophic injury
Honors & Awards
Illinois Leading Lawyers: Products Liability Defense Law and Commercial Litigation, 2019
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Central Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- The John Marshall Law School, J.D., 1991
- Marquette University, B.S., 1987
- Sports and Fitness Industry Association
- DuPage County Bar Association
- College of DuPage Career Fair
- Greater Chicago Food Depository
- Northern Illinois Food Bank
Publications & Events
- Co-Author, “Defending Fire Claims 101: Early Involvement in the Investigation,” Property Casualty 360, March 13, 2012
- Author, “Investigation and Defending Claims of Electric Shock,” IDC Quarterly, Vol. 13, No. 2, 2003
- Presenter, “Arson Investigations in Product Liability Cases,” DRI’s Fire and Explosion Seminar, Chicago, November 2007
- Presenter, “Firing Back: The Use of NFPA 921 in Deposition of an Expert,” DRI’s Product Liability Seminar, Las Vegas, February 2006
- Presenter, “Investigating and Defending Claims of Electrical Shock,” DRI’s Product Liability Seminar, Las Vegas, February 2003