Jeffrey L. Kingsley
Jeffrey L. Kingsley is the co-chair of the firm’s Global Insurance Services Practice Group and oversees a team of 65 attorneys, handling matters from cybersecurity to extra-contractual bad faith litigation. He maintains an international practice that focuses on matters involving complex insurance and reinsurance coverage, commercial and regulatory issues, and extra-contractual liability arbitration and litigation. Specifically, he has extensive experience handling and consulting clients on complex allocation issues, regulatory issues, arbitrations, transactional issues, and disputes involving the eco bad faith exposure across the country.
Jeff currently serves as national litigation and regulatory counsel for several companies, including one of the largest companies providing vehicle service contracts and extended insurance warranties for both commercial and personal vehicles. In that role, he handles the resolution of coverage claims and disputes with dealers, producers, and competitors, including representing the company in litigation and arbitration, drafting reinsurance agreements to create captive reinsurance companies, assisting with the drafting of vehicle service contracts and warranties, and counseling on a range of regulatory matters such as advertising regulations. Jeff’s recent experience also involves consulting with one of the world’s top auto manufacturers in the development of a national program.
Jeff lectures and writes extensively on emerging issues in the insurance and reinsurance industry. In 2013, he co-authored the “Duties of Reinsurers” chapter in the New Appleman on Insurance Law Library Edition. He also regularly presents on extra-contractual exposure, multiple claimant, and insufficient claims at insurance conferences across the world.
At Goldberg Segalla, Jeff is the co-editor of the Insurance and Reinsurance Report blog.
Jeff routinely provides comprehensive legal representation for Fortune 500 companies, insurers, reinsurers, and other businesses to help them manage risk at every stage of business and protect their interests when disputes may arise. He works with clients during the developmental phase of business relationships to analyze agreements, develop potential strategies to reduce liability exposure, and identify issues that may impede growth such as threats to a company’s reputation or intellectual property rights.
Drawing on his extensive background in environmental law, Jeff represents individuals and companies in matters regarding claims of property contamination and other environmental issues. He has handled cases involving the Clean Water Act, Clean Air Act, and other federal and state regulations. His experience includes representing a wine producer in a salt contamination claim and assisting the Department of Justice’s Environmental Enforcement Division in drafting its position relative to compliance-related issues regarding coal facilities.
Honors & Awards
Upstate New York Super Lawyers (Insurance Coverage), 2017–19; Rising Stars, 2013–14
Business First’s 40 Under 40, 2013
Business First’s Who’s Who in Law (Insurance), 2010–2012
Pathfinder Award for Community Service, bestowed by Business First, the Buffalo Alliance for Education, and the Niagara Frontier Industry Education Council for service as a mentor, coach, and leader for the Bennett High School Law Magnet Program
LexisNexis Top 50 Insurance Blog Recognition, 2009-2012
Top 15 Insurance Professional Blog Recognition, Insurance Quotes, August 2011
- New York
- U.S. District Courts for the Western, Southern, Eastern and Northern Districts of New York
- State University of New York at Buffalo Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2002
- Hamilton College, B.A., 1996
- Defense Research Institute: Reinsurance Law Committee; Life, Health and Disability Committee; Insurance Law Committee
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Bar Association of Erie County
- Charles B. Desmond American Inn of Court
- Village of Williamsville Mill Restoration Committee: Founder and Chairperson
- University at Buffalo Law School Alumni, G.O.L.D. Group: Treasurer
- Amherst and Erie County Republican Committees
- Bennett High School Mock Trial Team: Former Attorney Coach
- Bennett High School: Former Tutor/Mentor
- United Way Campaign Drive: Coordinator
- Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure: Volunteer/Coordinator
Publications & Events
- Editor, Goldberg Segalla’s The Insurance & Reinsurance blog: read Jeff’s blog posts here
- “Future of Covered Agreement Open to Question” (Co-Author), Insurance Day, October 16, 2017
- Quoted in “U.S. Hurricane Losses Weigh Heavily on Markets of Last Resort,” Insurance Day, September 29, 2017
- Quoted in “States’ Regulatory Role Preserved in U.S.-EU Insurance Pact,” Law360, September 25, 2017
- Editor, Part III, “The Claims Process,” Reinsurance Professional’s Deskbook, 2017-2018 ed., Thomson Reuters and DRI, 2017
- “Lloyd’s in the United States” (Co-Author) Ch. 80, New Appleman on Insurance Law Library Edition, 2016
- Quoted in “McClendon’s Death Creates Complex Financial Picture,” CNBC.com, March 4, 2016
- Quoted in “U.S., E.U. Insurance Talks Could Undermine States’ Authority,” Law360, February 24, 2016
- Featured in “Mutual Insurers Fight to Gain, Retain, and Communicate,” A.M. BestTV, October 2015
- Editor, “Part III: The Claims Process,” Reinsurance Professional’s Deskbook: A Practical Guide, Thomson Reuters and DRI, January 2015
- “Brexit and the Implications of the Global Insurance Market,” BRMA’s Committee Rendevous, Princeton, NJ, April 9, 2019
- “D&O and EPLI Coverage Considerations in the #MeToo Movement,” ABA Insurance Coverage Litigation Midyear CLE Conference, Tucson, AZ, February 27, 2019
- “U.S. Risks Challenging the London Market: The Opioid Epidemic, #MeToo, and Our Expectations for 2019” (Co-Presenter) London Seminar, London, UK, October 29, 2018
- “Construction Site Accidents: Law and Insurance,” Brown & Brown Lunch and Learn, June 19, 2018
- “After Irma: Discussion, Analysis, and Trends in Insurance-Linked Securities and Other Alternative Risk Transfer Vehicles for 2018 and Beyond,” BRMA Discussion, Princeton, NJ, April 9, 2018
- “Developments in Natural Catastrophe Coverage: Climate Change Developments, Flood Insurance Implementation, Earthquake Insurance, and a Look at the Effect on Property and Liability Risk Insurance Companies are Undertaking,” 12th National Forum on Insurance Regulation, New York, NY, July 26, 2016
- “Reinsurance Contracts,” BRMA, April 19, 2015
- “Extra-Contractual Claims,” (Presenter) GS Webinar, January 23, 2018
- “Complex Coverage: Managing Multiple Claims Under One Policy” (Co-Presenter) GIS Webinar, September 19, 2017.
Upcoming Webinar: December 10, 2019
August 13, 2019
December 27, 2018
August 13, 2018
August 21, 2018
October 16, 2017