Joseph Cagnoli Jr.
Joseph Cagnoli Jr., vice chair of Goldberg Segalla’s Toxic Tort practice, is a trial lawyer who represents individuals, corporations, and public entities in toxic tort, environmental, and product liability litigation and matters involving alleged municipal or public entity liability. Well-versed in all aspects of trial preparation and proceeding, Joe has litigated in state and federal courts in multiple jurisdictions including Pennsylvania, New York, Illinois, Connecticut, California, Ohio, and Delaware. Joe handles all aspects of case management and analysis, witness deposition, expert development, settlement negotiation, and trial.
Joe also represents clients in the film, music, and arts industries, and has additionally served as a legal consultant on a feature film.
For almost two decades, Joe has served as national coordinating counsel for a high-tech corporation in asbestos litigation. In this role, he directs and implements his client’s national litigation strategy. Joe also represents major manufacturers of aircrafts, building products, cranes, and industrial equipment. Joe frequently publishes and presents on emerging issues in asbestos and environmental litigation. He counsels and defends professionals, companies and premises owners in matters relating to environmental exposures and contamination, above and underground storage tanks, spills, remediation, regulatory issues and professional negligence. He also has significant experience representing manufacturers of vehicles and commercial and industrial equipment in product liability and environmental matters involving benzene and other chemical exposures.
In addition, Joe has been a pioneering attorney in matters involving asbestos bankruptcy trusts. Joe was integral in drafting an unprecedented discovery order in Pennsylvania that requires plaintiffs to apply for and disclose all bankruptcy trust submissions to defendants in third-party asbestos litigation.
Honors & Awards
Martindale-Hubbell AV Preeminent Peer Review Rated
Recognized as a Top-Rated Lawyer in Mass Torts by American Lawyer Media and Martindale-Hubbell, 2013–14
Pennsylvania Super Lawyers, Products Liability: Defense, 2019
Admitted to Practice
- Widener University School of Law, J.D., 1992
- Dickinson College, B.A., 1988
- Pennsylvania Bar Association
- Pennsylvania Disciplinary Board – Senior Hearing Committee Member, 2003–09
- Philadelphia Bar Association
Publications & Events
- “A Review of the Science and Current Litigation Regarding Glyphosate,” (Co-Author) DRI’s For The Defense, June 2019
- “Defense Strategies for Alternative Causation Arguments in Asbestos Cases” (Co-Author), Mealey’s, August 29, 2018
- “Asbestos Litigation, Attorney Advertising & Bankruptcy Trusts: The ECONOMIC Incentives Behind the new Recruitment of Lung Cancer Cases” (Co-Author), Mealey’s Asbestos Bankruptcy Report, Vol. 13 No. 4, November 2013
- “The Philadelphia Story: Asbestos Litigation, Bankruptcy Trusts and Changes in Exposure Allegations from 1991-2010” (Co-Author), Mealey’s Litigation Report: Asbestos, Vol. 27, No. 19, November 7, 2012
- “Public Policy Challenge to ‘Household Exclusion’ Clauses Rejected by Pa. Supreme Court,” Defense Digest, Vol. 4, No. 5, 1998
- “At the Sound of the Gun,” Defense Digest, Vol 3, No. 1, 1997
- “Glyphosate: Science, Personal Injury and Class Action Litigation, and Present and Future Considerations” (Co-Presenter), GS 2019 TTEL Roundup: Glyphosate, Superfund Mega-Sites, and Emerging Problems with the Cannabis Industry and the Opioid Epidemic, New York, NY, May 21, 2019
- “Containing the Disaster: Effective Trial Techniques for the ‘Worst of the Worst'” (Co-Presenter), GS Containing Disasters Seminar, Chicago, New York City, and Philadelphia, January 22-25, 2018
- “New Developments in Lung Cancer Cases,” Issues Update, Innovations and What Keeps You Up at Night in Asbestos Litigation, Asbestos Summit IV: The Evolving Landscape of Asbestos Litigation, Wausau, WI, October 24, 2017
- “Current Issues in Pennsylvania Asbestos Litigation,” Perrin Conferences Continuing Education Seminar for Resolute Midwest, Chicago, IL, June 14, 2012
- “Damage Control: Estimating Economic Risk in Environmental & Product Liability Litigation,” 2012 Annual Emerging and Environmental Claims Managers Association (EECMA) Spring Conference, Captiva Island, FL, May 2-4, 2012
- “Litigation Tactics,” National Business Institute’s Asbestos: Current Issues and Effective Litigation Tactics, Philadelphia, PA, November 15, 2011
- Chair and Presenter, “Defense of Phenolic Resin Manufacturers in Electrician Cases,” Rogers Corporation National Asbestos Litigation Meeting, 2010
- 2007 Pennsylvania Asbestos Case Law Review, Liberty Mutual, 2008
- Chair and Presenter, “Defending the Thermoset Molding Materials Defendant,” Rogers Corporation National Asbestos Litigation Meeting, Chair/Presenter, 2007
- Defending the Industrial Equipment Manufacturer in Pennsylvania Asbestos Litigation, Clark Equipment Co. National Meeting, 2007
- Chair and Presenter, “Recent Nationwide Developments/Trends in Asbestos Litigation,” Rogers Corporation National Asbestos Litigation Meeting, 2006
- “Third Party Case Basics of the Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Financial Responsibility Law,” Pennsylvania Insurance Society, April 1999
- “Bad Faith and the Peer Review Provisions of the Pennsylvania Motor Vehicle Financial Responsibility Law,” MetLife Auto and Home, Rocky Hill, CT, July 1998
- Monthly presentations on current developments in Pennsylvania Legislation to SEPCA membership and guests, Southeastern Pennsylvania Claims Association, January 1997 – May 1998
- Presenter, “Alternative Causes of Mesothelioma: BAP-1 Mutations (Part 2 of 3),” TTEL/ACT Webinar, October 18, 2018
- “Gasland vs. Fracknation: A Discussion of the Future Litigation on Gas Exploration,” Perrin Conferences Webinar, March 13, 2013
June 18, 2019
November 20, 2018
August 29, 2018