Joshua L. Milrad
Joshua L. Milrad is an experienced litigator who represents clients in complex environmental disputes arising from hazardous spill incidents, contamination claims, response measures, regulatory enforcement and compliance, environmental impact reviews, and remediation from commercial and industrial project development. Josh also represents major manufacturers in product liability actions and toxic tort claims. He litigates extensively in multiple jurisdictions and before arbitration panels.
Josh manages environmental litigation strategy for his clients’ matters at every phase, including formulating a plan of action and executing it with a team dedicated to solution-based strategies. He also has significant experience handling multimillion-dollar matters and is particularly effective at risk management and managing and limiting potential exposure. Josh is a skilled examiner and has extensive experience with motion practice and with trial and appellate submissions.
Josh’s extensive record litigating high-exposure disputes includes:
- Representing an oil company in hazardous spill incident from a fuel line failure with significant spill contamination, local and state agency response measures, property damage, clean-up costs and stigma claims
- Counseling for a land developer in a remediation dispute with a real-estate investment trust involving historic fill materials from coal ash operations
- Defending an electrical contractor for transformer oil contamination arising from explosion at power generating facility
- Litigating an indemnity action involving regulatory fines and land-development issues involving the EPA, the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, and other local agencies and responders
- Obtaining a seminal decision from the United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York, preempting an action for wrongful death under the Federal Hazardous Substances Act
Josh arbitrated an insurance carrier dispute for construction-based claims, established key witness testimony that went unrebutted, and obtained indemnification for the developer.
Josh regularly litigates toxic tort matters, including lead paint cases and asbestos claims. His successes in this area include defending an inspection company in an action for severe cognitive injuries as a result of alleged exposure to lead paint after gathering testimony prior to trial to establish that the results for testing on metal substrates were inconclusive.
- New York
- New Jersey
- Mashantucket Pequot Tribal Court
- Suffolk University Law School, J.D., cum laude, 1995
- Northeastern University, B.A., magna cum laude, 1991
Publications & Events
- Contributor, Goldberg Segalla’s Environmental Law Monitor blog: read Joshua’s blog posts here
- “Definition of ‘Disposal’ Limits CERCLA’s Applicability” (Co-Author), Law360, October 21, 2016 (subscription required)
- “Lead Exposure Claims: Proactive Strategies for Effective Resolution,” March 2022
- “Wind Energy: Potential Environmental Complications,” Emerging Risks CE/CLE, March 15, 2022
- “Lead Exposure Claims: Proactive Strategies for Effective Resolution,” Client Presentation, May 20, 2020
- “Lead Poisoning Claims — Ways to Defend, Mitigate, and Allocate Risk to Minimize Liability and Damages Exposure” (Co-Presenter), Insurance Seminar, Hartford, CT, May 21, 2018
- “Lead Exposure Claims: Proactive Strategies for Effective Resolution,” (Co-Presenter), GS Webinar Series, March 22, 2022
July 15, 2019