Martha P. Brown
Martha Brown represents her clients in employment litigation, employment practice liability insurance (EPLI) issues, and insurance coverage disputes. Her practice covers the full spectrum of employment litigation and counseling, professional liability, and a broad range of first- and third-party coverage disputes. While applying her considerable background litigating in state and federal courts, Martha advises clients regarding the forum that is both appropriate and receptive to their positions. She aptly positions cases for appellate review, securing clients’ appellate rights, and presenting their position for determination.
Martha has successfully litigated discrimination, wrongful termination, and retaliation claims in both federal and state courts.
In addition to defending employers and their directors and officers, Martha draws upon her extensive experience in all areas of employment law to advise clients on issues regarding terminations, demotions, reductions in force, and hiring practices. She regularly provides guidance on surveillance of employees, substance abuse by employees, and proper administration of leave of absence policies. Her broad employment law background has also involved assisting clients in drafting employee handbooks, employment policies, employment agreements, and severance agreements.
Martha has handled both first- and third-party insurance coverage matters, including disputes over the extent of commercial general liability (CGL) coverage for construction defect claims, application and coordination of coverages under additional insured endorsements, coverage for successor liability, coverage under directors and officers (D&O) and errors and omissions (E&O) policies, and coverage for wrongful conviction based on subsequent DNA exoneration.
Honors & Awards
Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law, 2021
Legal Elite in Employment Litigation, Business North Carolina, 2011–12
- North Carolina
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern, Middle, and Western Districts of North Carolina
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court
- University of North Carolina School of Law, J.D., 1993, with honors
- North Carolina Law Review
- Fairfield University, B.A., summa cum laude, 1990
- Alpha Sigma Nu Honor Society: President
- North Carolina Bar Association
Publications & Events
- “Wrongful Incarceration Suits Surge Giving Rise to Insurance Coverage Trigger Issues” (Co-Author), Carrier Management, November 4, 2013
- “Posturing Your Case to Tackle Insurance Coverage Issues” (Co-Presenter), North Carolina Bar Association Construction Section Annual Meeting, Charlotte, NC, September 28, 2018
- “The Latest in Coverage: Significant Toxic Tort and Environmental Law Decisions that will Impact You” (Co-Presenter), Goldberg Segalla Toxic Torts and Environmental Law Seminar, May 23, 2017
- Moderator, “EPL Claims Trends,” 12th Annual National Employment Practices Liability ExecuSummit, Uncasville, CT, September 27, 2016
August 20, 2020
November 9, 2018
March 9, 2015
January 10, 2013