Paul C. Steck
Paul C. Steck focuses his practice on counseling and defending clients in all matters relating to insurance coverage. Paul provides his clients with comprehensive policy and coverage analysis, and defends insurers in complex disputes involving priority of coverage, additional insured status, and professional liability claims, including errors and omissions, workers’ compensation, and environmental coverage claims. He has successfully argued cases on behalf of insurers in state courts, including the New York Appellate Division, Second Department. Paul’s experience also includes assisting two of the world’s most prominent manufacturers of toys and children’s products in matters involving recalls, product integrity, mandatory government reporting, and related issues in connection with the Consumer Product Safety Commission and other regulatory agencies.
Prior to pursuing a career in law, Paul worked as an environmental consultant for seven years and then as a regulatory specialist for a consumer products testing laboratory. In this capacity, he evaluated product designs and consulted on safety issues for children’s products. His consulting experience also includes reviewing regulatory requirements for domestic and international distribution of various consumer products.
An authority on all aspects involving insurance and environmental coverage, Paul has written numerous articles on topics within his practice area.
Honors & Awards
Best Lawyers in America — Insurance Law, 2020
Upstate New York Super Lawyers, 2016–19
Upstate New York Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2013
- New York
- State University of New York at Buffalo Law School, J.D., cum laude, 2002
- Ohio State University, M.S., cum laude, 1990
- State University of New York at Buffalo, B.A., magna cum laude, 1986
- New York State Bar Association: Environmental Law Section
Publications & Events
- Co-Author, “Local Regulation of Consumer Products,” Buffalo Law Journal, June 18, 2015
- Co-Author, “NY Insurers May Benefit From Lower Disclaimer Standard,” Law360, July 17, 2014
- Co-Author, “Investing in Death Creates Judicial and Regulatory Issues,” DRI, For the Defense, July 2011
- Co-Author, “Lung Disease From Microwave Popcorn Flavoring? Searching for Kernels of Truth in the Litigation ‘Maize’,” DRI, For the Defense, November 2008
- Co-Author, “Product Recalls Stir Public Sentiment,” USLAW Magazine, Spring/Summer 2008
- Presenter, “Insurance Coverage Update 2015,” NYSBA, May 15, 2015
August 15, 2019
August 13, 2019
August 13, 2018