Sarah B. Mangelsdorf
Sarah B. Mangelsdorf is an accomplished attorney with more than 15 years of experience practicing across a broad range of legal areas, with extensive knowledge in toxic tort and environmental law. She represents many large corporations and businesses, including manufacturers of petroleum and chemical products, industrial equipment, general contractors, timber and agricultural companies, and members of the maritime industry. Sarah has defended clients, through trial or settlement, in various legal matters involving asbestos, environmental law, OSHA, products liability, and wrongful death. She regularly counsels clients on general compliance and litigation issues arising from state and federal environmental regulations and enforcement actions with the express aim to avoid costs of litigation and mitigate any potential liability.
Sarah’s background in both the public and private sectors gives her a unique perspective and deep understanding of regulatory issues. As an Assistant Attorney General in the Agriculture and Environment Division, she litigated cases involving various environmental laws and regulations, including the Missouri Clean Water Law, the Missouri Air Conservation Law, the Missouri Hazardous Waste Management Law, and the Missouri Solid Waste Management Law.
- Appeared before the Public Service Commission on energy efficiency matters in rate cases involving electric and natural gas utilities.
- Successfully negotiated an administrative Consent Agreement/Final Order involving several federal and state agencies, including the Environmental Protection Agency, Department of Agriculture, Natural Resources Conservation Service, Army Corps of Engineers, and Missouri Department of Natural Resources, and worked with environmental consultant to draft a mitigation plan.
- Obtained numerous voluntary dismissals on behalf of a client in asbestos matters filed in Illinois and Missouri state courts.
- Received a favorable outcome for a client after briefing and presenting oral argument before the Court of Appeals for the Eastern District of Missouri. The court also sanctioned the appellant for filing a frivolous appeal.
- Assisted in drafting an amicus brief, filed with the EPA Administrator on behalf of various growers throughout the U.S., relating to the agency’s cancellation of an insecticide under the Federal Insecticide, Fungicide, and Rodenticide Act.
- Successfully tried a case to verdict and received a defense verdict in the Circuit Court for the City of St. Louis in a matter involving allegations of negligent construction and breach of contract.
- Assisted the Missouri Department of Natural Resources’ counsel and staff with interpreting environmental statutes and regulations, drafting and implementing internal policies and procedures, reviewing legislative and rule-making proposals, Sunshine Law compliance, negotiating permit terms, conditions, and variance requests, and interfacing with the EPA, the regulated community, stakeholders, and the department’s boards and commissions.
Honors & Awards
Missouri Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2016-17, 2020-21 (Thomson Reuters)
Missouri Attorney General’s Award for Excellence in Customer Service, 2013
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Missouri
- U.S. District Courts for the Central and Southern Districts of Illinois
- Saint Louis University School of Law, J.D., 2007
- Environmental Law Society, Executive Board Member 2005-06
- Legal Research and Writing Teaching Assistant, 2005
- Vermont Law School, M.S. Environmental Law, cum laude, 2004
- Who’s Who Among Law Students
- Student Bar Association, Senator
- Washington University, B.A. Environmental Studies, 2003
- Missouri Bar Association
- Energy and Environmental Law Sub-Committee
- Vice Chair, 2021 to present
- Administrative Law Sub-Committee
- Chair, 2018-20
- Vice Chair, 2016-18
- Energy and Environmental Law Sub-Committee
Publications & Events
- “Responding to Government Inquiries,” AIChE St. Louis Chapter, November 2021
- “Responding to Government Inquiries,” Chemical Industry Council of Illinois Hot Topics Seminar, February 2018
- “NPDES Hot Topics,” Chemical Industry Council of Illinois Hot Topics Seminar, September 2016
- “Legal Considerations for Stormwater Management,” Missouri Water Environment Association Stormwater/Watershed Management Conference, September 2016
- “Recent Cases: The Blurred Lines Between Environmental Laws,” Chemical Industry Council of Illinois Hot Topics Seminar, September 2015
- “Current Considerations for Stormwater Management and Other NPDES Activities,” Missouri Water Environment Association Fall Technical Conference, November 2015