Annette J. Lucas
Annette J. Lucas has extensive experience as a civil litigator and has handled medical-malpractice and tort claims, among others. Before entering private practice, Annette spent several years as assistant corporation counsel in the Tort Division of the New York City Law Department’s Manhattan Trial Unit, where she defended the city in a variety of litigation, tried cases as first- and second-chair trial attorney, picked juries, negotiated settlements, and wrote and argued motions, among other duties.
Annette’s successes in this area include:
- Her motion for summary judgment’s being upheld on appeal to the First Department, which affirmed the State Supreme Court’s governmental immunity and lack of special duty decision.
- The Appellate Division’s affirmation of a State Supreme Court decision holding that New York City owed no duty to the plaintiff, a New York City sanitation employee who slipped and fell on his way to a mandated workers’ compensation medical examination.
- New York
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Pace University School of Law, J.D., International Law Certificate, cum laude, 2007
- Studied abroad at University College London’s Faculty of Laws & Apprenticeship
- Interned with Trial Chamber III in the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia in the Netherlands, where she assisted judges and legal officers in the trial management of the Prosecutor v. Slobodan Milosevic case
- Held a legal internship with the Town of Clarkson’s Office of the Town Attorney in New City, New York, where she drafted legal memoranda and a real-estate contract and municipal ordinance, among others
- State University of New York at Binghamton, B.S., international business and marketing, 2001 Served as a personnel assistant in the Special Court of Sierra Leone, in the capital city of Freetown
- New York State Bar Association
- New Jersey State Bar Association