John M. Allen
John Allen serves as co-chair of Goldberg Segalla’s Transportation practice group, a national team focused on meeting all of the legal needs of trucking companies, transportation network companies, motor carriers, maritime operators, logistics companies, aviation entities, and others in the transportation industry. John is an experienced litigator who focuses his practice on defending businesses and their insurers in a wide variety of general liability, employment, maritime, and workers’ compensation matters. He also regularly represents clients in product liability and commercial lawsuits throughout the Midwest. As a business counselor, John advises companies on a variety of matters, including business creation, corporate transactions, and employment-related matters.
John manages a team of attorneys across Goldberg Segalla’s footprint defending personal injury and product liability cases on behalf of a global transportation network company. He also represents motor carriers and their insurers in catastrophic accident cases throughout Missouri. Among other successes, John has tried a trucking case to verdict on behalf of a hardware store that owned the truck and the employee who was driving the truck. John’s strategic decision to admit fault and try the case to the jury on damages paid off, as the jury awarded the four plaintiffs a total of $113,000.00, far less than the plaintiffs’ $1.475 million demand. John has also served as statewide counsel for an insurer that underwrites liability claims against hardware stores in Missouri, and he has represented a Fortune 500 company in commercial and employment matters in jurisdictions around the country.
John’s maritime experience includes representing operators and insurers from the initial accident investigation through trial in maritime cases involving personal injury and property damage in some of the most difficult venues in the country.
John has represented employers and insurers in Missouri and Illinois throughout the entire workers’ compensation process. He has handled claims for his clients from the initial accident investigation, through trial, and on appeal, including oral argument to the Missouri Supreme Court, and the Eastern and Western District Courts of Appeals.
Honors & Awards
Martindale-Hubbell Peer Review Rating: AV Preeminent
- U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
- U.S. District Courts for the Northern and Southern Districts of Illinois
- U.S. District Courts for the Eastern and Western Districts of Missouri
- St. Louis University School of Law, J.D., 2000
- St. Louis University, B.A., 1996
- Missouri Bar Association
- Illinois Bar Association
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
Publications & Events
- Presenter, “Missouri Workers’ Compensation,” Falls Lake Insurance, Raleigh, NC, May 30, 2018
- Co-Presenter, “Admiralty and Maritime Law,” Berkley One, Wilmington, DE, May 16, 2018
- “Strategies for Defending Against Maritime Industry Claims: OSHA, the Jones Act, and More,” (Co-Presenter), GS Webinar Series, February 15, 2022
- “Wading Through the Murky Waters of Jones Act and Longshore Claims,” GS Webinar Series, May 19, 2021
- “Understanding the Impact of COVID-19 on Workers’ Compensation and Liability Claims in the Show-Me State,” GS Webinar Series, April 29, 2020
- “Tips for Closing out the Claim with the Unrepresented Claimant in MO,” GS Webinar Series, August 16, 2017
December 23, 2021
October 9, 2019
August 26, 2019
June 3, 2019