Joshua J. Roberts
Joshua J. Roberts focuses on defending and counseling clients in workers’ compensation and employment-related matters. Josh draws on several years of experience providing cost-effective defense and proactive resolution of workers’ compensation and other employment-related claims and advising hundreds of employers across various industries on defense strategy, employment policies and practices, legal and regulatory obligations, and risk-management.
Josh is a key counselor to executives in numerous major-league sports organizations and franchises, including members of the NFL, MLB, NBA, and NHL. Josh regularly defends these major-league sports entities in employment and labor-related matters on trial and appeal, including cases involving the issue of jurisdiction over out-of-state employers facing claims filed in California.
Josh has extensive experience in this area, including at the appellate level. His successes include obtaining a winning decision in Tony Dorsett v. Denver Broncos, which barred a former professional athlete under the doctrine of res judicata after he filed and settled his claim for workers’ compensation benefits in California years prior to attempting to re-litigate his claim for benefits a second time.
- California Western School of Law, J.D., 2010
- Gonzaga University, B.A., 2006
- Sports Lawyers Association
- Orange County Bar Association
Publications & Events
- Presenter, “California Labor Code 3600.5(c) and (d): Understanding Workers’ Compensation for Professional Athletes,” GS Webinar Series, January 22, 2020
- Co-Presenter, “The Impact of Immigration in Workers’ Compensation Claims,” GS Webinar Series, November 20, 2019
October 22, 2020
March 26, 2020
July 22, 2019