Michael J. Leegan
Michael J. Leegan is a civil-trial litigator who concentrates in the defense of insureds, insurance carriers, self-insureds, and individuals in all aspects of civil law, including matters involving premises liability, automobile accidents, products liability, general negligence, construction defect, and construction accidents in the state and district courts of New Jersey. He has tried more than 15 cases to verdict.
Honors & Awards
New Jersey Super Lawyers, 2018–19 (Thomson Reuters)
New Jersey Super Lawyers, Rising Stars (Thomson Reuters)
View peer-review methodologies at superlawyers.com. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Admitted to Practice
- New Jersey
- U.S. District Court for the District of New Jersey
- Seton Hall University School of Law, J.D., 1995
- The Catholic University of America, B.A., cum laude, 1992
Training and Certifications
- Department of Labor OSHA-10 Certification
- Defense Research Institute
- Atlantic Region Director and Board Member, 2012 to present
- Member and State Representative for New Jersey, 2009 to 2012
- New Jersey Defense Association
- Member and Past President/Board Member, June 2009 to present
- Chairman of the Board, June 2008 to June 2009
- President, June 2007 to June 2008
- President Elect, June 2006 to June 2007
- Secretary/Treasurer, June 2005 to June 2006
- Director, June 2003 to June 2005
- Brennan Inn of Court, Pupil, September 1997 to June 1999
- Assistant coach for Inter-County Youth Soccer
- Assistant coach for Scotch Plains Fanwood Youth Baseball Association
Publications & Events
Mike’s published decisions include Structure Bldg. Corp. v. Abella, 377 N.J. Super. 467 (App. Div. 2005) and Stricklen v. Ferrugia, 379 N.J. Super. 296 (App. Div. 2005).
“Overview of General Liability and Contractual Liability Principles in New Jersey and New York,” Dallas, TX, March 4, 2016
Michael also has been a presenter at the New Jersey Defense Association’s Annual Convention regarding topics such as the current state of premises liability law in New Jersey, indemnification agreements, additional insured status, and case law update on automobile insurance defense. And he is a frequent speaker on trial practice and topics in his areas of concentration and an instructor for the Skills and Methods Course Seminar for New Jersey Civil Trial Practice through the New Jersey Institute for Continuing Legal Education.
June 26, 2014
December 27, 2012
May 14, 2012