With offices on both the Atlantic and Pacific coasts, stretching through the Great Lakes region, and along the inland waterways deep in the Midwest, Goldberg Segalla is well-positioned to handle workers’ compensation and maritime claims, including matters invoking the federal Jones Act or the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA), employment and commercial disputes, and other legal concerns that face companies in the shipping, logistics, energy, and chemical transportation industries, or any other company who conducts business on or near ports, docks, or waterways.
Our lawyers have a broad base of experience handling matters involving the complex web of maritime and admiralty laws and regulations, and the capability to protect clients’ interests in arbitration, litigation, and other forums of dispute resolution. In addition, we have an exceptional track record of collaborating across offices and practice groups to defend complicated matters involving overlapping state-level workers’ compensation claims and federal Jones Act or LHWCA claims, questions of maritime employer status, and other issues unique to the maritime sector and related industries.
Goldberg Segalla’s nationwide Workers’ Compensation practice is fully integrated with a multidisciplinary Maritime practice. Our services and capabilities include:
- Matters invoking the Jones Act, the general maritime law, the Longshore and Harbor Workers’ Compensation Act (LHWCA), the Carriage of Goods by Sea Act (COGSA), the Limitation of Liability Act (LOLA), the Death on the High Seas Act, International Traffic and Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR), navigational rules, Coast Guard regulations, and other laws that frequently come into play in maritime claims
- Arbitration before the Society of Maritime Arbitrators (SMA)
- Defense of a vast range of maritime claims involving personal injuries, property damage, collisions/allisions, spills, and other incidents
- OSHA compliance, inspections, and litigation
- Toxic tort defense, including matters involving the applicability of maritime law to asbestos-related injury
- Commercial litigation spanning the full spectrum of contractual and other disputes, through trial and appeal
- Preparing contracts based on maritime law provisions (including maritime first preferred mortgages under federal law, marine note and security agreements, warranty contracts, and vessel exchange agreements) and handing various registrations with the U.S. Coast Guard
- Insurance coverage advice and litigation involving maritime policies and issues
- Insurance regulatory analysis of foreign freight forwarders, licensing applicable to them, and regulation of their transactions involving insurers
- Ensuring compliance with a wide range of conventions, including International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS); International Convention on Load Lines; International Convention on Standards of Training, Certification, and Watchkeeping for Seafarers (STCW); pilotage; and United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS)
For more information about our experience or to request informational materials, please reach out to one of Goldberg Segalla’s key contacts for the maritime industries.
John M. Allen
314.446.3370 | email@example.com
- Versatile and experienced litigator and legal counselor to major corporations, large employers, and insurers throughout Missouri, Illinois, and the Midwest
- Regularly handles workers’ compensation claims, maritime claims, employment, personal injury, product liability, commercial litigation, and a variety of transactional and corporate matters
- Maritime experience includes representing operators and insurers from discovery through trial in cases involving personal injury and property damage in some of the most difficult venues in the country