Kristen L. Stumpo
Kristen L. Stumpo has dedicated her practice to workers’ compensation defense for more than half of her career. She counsels and defends employers, insurance carriers, third-party administrators, and self-insured clients in all stages of workers’ compensation litigation, from intake to formal hearings and appeal. Kristen has extensive experience in all stages of litigation, including representing respondents before the Workers’ Compensation Commission in all districts across Connecticut, deposing claimants and witnesses, conducting medical-legal conferences and depositions of medical experts, and advising clients on all aspects of the claim. She has tried numerous cases and regularly appeals to the Connecticut Compensation Review Board, where she recently obtained a favorable decision affirming the full dismissal of a claim.
Kristen’s practice also includes representing clients in claims relating to personal injury, premises liability, general liability, construction, and Dram Shop liability. She is skilled in discovery depositions, liability expert communications, pleading practice, short calendar argument, court appearances, and all other trial preparations. Her background in general liability complements her workers’ compensation practice as she is proficient in handling subrogation matters for workers’ compensation respondent-carriers seeking to recover on their liens.
- Kristen has experience counseling and defending employers, insurers, and third-party administrators in workers’ compensation matters. Representative matters include:
- Obtained a dismissal in an amusement and waterpark case that that resulted in a dismissal of the portion of the claim pertaining to an alleged injury resulting in headaches. The dismissal allowed for a much lower settlement, which was effectuated within a month of the dismissal.
- Obtained a favorable decision from the Connecticut Compensation Review Board affirming the full dismissal of a claim.
Honors & Awards
Connecticut Super Lawyers, Rising Stars, 2019-20
- U.S. District Court for the District of Connecticut
- Mohegan Sun Gaming Disputes Court
- Quinnipiac University, J.D., 2010
- Mock Trial Team
- Quinnipiac University, B.A., Liberal Arts and Legal Studies, summa cum laude, 2007
Publications & Events
- “The Perils of Preclusion – Protecting the Respondents Right to Contest a Claim in CT” (Presenter), GS Workers’ Compensation Webinar Series, November 13, 2019
December 17, 2018